Group Therapy... any one?

Sherrie P.
on 7/21/12 12:34 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
So, I was surprised when I got a letter in the mail today saying that my insurance approved my psych eval and 7 group therapy sessions as an in-network covered service.  YAY ... BTW

I had no idea they were submitting this for prior authorization as I have not even had my initial consult yet. (FRIDAY!!!)

Have any of you done Group Therapy?

Duke has a 1 year pre-and post op group therapy program. 

It is my plan to go for it, I want all the resources possible.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

poet_kelly
on 7/21/12 12:49 pm - OH
Oh, I've done plenty of group therapy.  Not related to WLS, but for other things.  For the most part, I found it helpful although how helpful depends on the group's counselor and how the group is run and all that stuff.  I think it is important to make use of all the resources available to you, because this can be a rough journey.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/21/12 1:12 pm - OH
Like Kelly, I have done group therapy, but not in relation to weight loss or WLS.  It can be very helpful or can be a complete waste of time depending on the composition of the group and (even moreso) the skill of the therapist running the group.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Pam T.
on 7/22/12 1:47 am - Saginaw, MI
 The psych at my surgeon's office offers regular "classes" to post-ops. Essentially it's group therapy. The first class is called "Finishing School" and the second is called "Graduate School" - I've taken both.  It's a class that is 12 weeks long and has about 8 to 10 people in it. We dig deep into the emotional side of life and how it relates to our WLS. You can read a little bit about it on my blog: 
http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/01/comprehensive-holisti c-wellness-plan.html 

It was definitely one of the best things I ever did for myself after surgery. I learned a lot about myself and it helped to shape my entire journey. My first session was just a few months post-op and gave me the chance to set some solid life goals and help me determine the direction I wanted to take with various parts of my health -- not just physical health, but emotional, intellectual, vocational, financial, spriritual, etc. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active
Recent Topics