struggling with not drinking while eating

sacaudle
on 7/24/12 9:41 am - NC
First let me preface that before WLS I was someone who only drank a cup of coffee in the morning and one diet soda the rest of the day...I know probably very dehydrated..I only needed a sip here and there.

Now, I'm really struggling with not drinking (just a sip) with my meals.  Food feels stuck.  I've been taking just a small sip here and there with my meals and it helps me eat the right amount of protein and get my food in...otherwise I can't eat enough protein.  

I'm fighting hard to drink the desired liquids as well. 

Any tips or ideas? 

Heidi T.
on 7/24/12 9:47 am
RNY on 01/31/12
 i find sugar free mints help alot with this. They seem to help me digest my food and get my bodily juices flowing without me drinking with food. Hope this helps.

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
MBsRNY
on 7/24/12 10:22 am - Baltimore, MD
My nutritionist and PA both told me that taking a small sip with meals...enough to "wet your mouth", not a drink, is fine. But to be careful  not to let it develop into really drinking with meals.

HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
Lady Lithia
on 7/24/12 10:46 am
I've read hundreds of stories of real regain that begin with this....

Starting to drink just a tiny sip.

Then bigger sips

Then ultimately just plain drinking with meals.

I wouldn't consider this trivial. But ultimately you know yourself more than anyone else does. Have your nutritionist or PA ever had RNY? 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

SoCaPinkLady
on 7/24/12 10:29 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
I never drank a lot with meals. When we go out to eat my family keeps the restaurant staff busy with refills.  I hardly drink 1/4 of my drink and I am struggling as well with not drinking during meals now. I do take a tiny sip just to help things along as well.

Lori                               

Lady Lithia
on 7/24/12 10:43 am
First off, I'm going to be blunt and say I have a hard time with anyone who says this, because if you have no liquid at your placemat or wherever you are eating it's hard to drink what isnt' there. So having liquid at the table is a choice you're making that you have to fight against prior to overcoming this. Once you have no liquid at the table, you might find that the urge to drink is diminished by the fact that there isn't a liquid to drink? I just think that having a liquid AT the table is 9/10ths of the problem.

Second, you might try to have your foods more moist. More sauces, less dry items. Have a few slices of cucumber on a side plate, and if you feel dry, chew on one. Hardly any calories, cool, moist.

You have to make a choice, and until you choose to sit down to a meal without any liquid at your table, or wherever you eat, you will likely give in to the urge. Good luck. I consider this drinking while eating to be the primary pavement on the road to regain.

sacaudle
on 7/24/12 10:50 am - NC
I don't have it at the table...but I start vomiting unless I get a sip.  I never order it when out, but I have to leave the table to vomit and get the food up. 

like tonight I had some fat free refried beans with some low fat cheese.  I took two bites...and couldn't eat any more...had to throw it up.  then I ate a few more bites (about 10 min later.) and had a sip and was able to eat the rest. 

I can't ea****ermelon or cucumber yet..I've tried. 

I don't mind you being blunt. Thats why I ask!

Lady Lithia
on 7/24/12 11:13 am
OOooh Well that's a different thing. And I'm glad you answered in the spirit I intended... that makes sense.

One thing I've found that is helpful for some is to have something with a second hand, and to chew for a full minute each bite. Sometimes you think you've chewed it well when in fact you haven't. The second hand helps. Just a thought.

good luck. I'm sorry you're havnig these troubles. It's hard to relate (as I mentioned in the first post) because I didn't have the issues you have....but I was scared to death of being in your shoes when I signed up for this.... I can't understand but I can empathize.

Perhaps you might have a tiny dixie cup (3 oz) of water or liqud at the table with you, and decide that no more than that during the meal....and work to diminish the amount over time as you get through this tough time... I've heard of people with issues that just get better at some point.

poet_kelly
on 7/24/12 10:47 am - OH
Eat moist foods.  And personally, I think a tiny sip during a meal is not a problem.  My surgeon also thought that was fine.  A tiny sip is not going to wash food out of the pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

alwaysloyal
on 7/24/12 11:07 am - MI
I have watermelon or sugarfree jello with my meals. I have never had any problems with any food post surgery I just have always been a big drinker.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 385 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 165 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics