Some more vitamin questions...

Erika P.
on 8/2/12 2:22 pm - Birch Run, MI
 When I'm at the point where I can swallow my multi, what's the best one to go with that is easy on my pocketbook and taking once per day? Right now the 4x a day Optisources are getting disgusting :/

Also my dietician told me to start taking calcium citrate...is that like my multi in that I need to wait at least 3 mo before I swallow over chewing? She suggested the bariatric advantage chewy candies...what's the cheapest route there?

Also what's a good dosage (mcg's) of biotin to take? I'm doing 1,000 mcg (3x a day) right now...is that too much or not enough.

Thank you all! I don't know what I'd do without you guys...prolly calling every day to the bariatric institute lol...

Dave Chambers
on 8/2/12 2:50 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Chewables will not be your cheapest choice by any means.  You can likely swallow vitamins and other supplements now. I personally chose liquid vitamins for over a year post op, but other supplements were in pilled or capsule form.  I also took my script pills and capsules in the hosptial the night of my surgery.  I use a high potency vitamin capsule now, that I take twice daily.  Biotin won't prevent hair loss, but help hair grow in faster. Sometimes, using too much biotin results in unwanted facial hair, hairy arms, etc. Taking an inositol supplement will likely be better for you, as it's a "cell regenerator" which helps your hair immensely. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 8/2/12 7:42 pm - OH
I'm glad you're looking for another multi.  With Optisource, you'd need EIGHT a day, not four, plus you would still need 1500 to 2000 mg calcium citrate, plus B12 in a sublingual, nasal spray or shots.

Centrum is a good multi and cheap.  Or get a generic equivalent.

You don't need to wait three months to swallow your multi or calcium. The ASMBS says as soon as you can tolerate swallowing pills, you can switch.

The BA chewy calcium is pretty expensive, but they are tasty.  The cheapest route is to get generic calcium citrate tablets at someplace like Walmart.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Erika P.
on 8/2/12 10:34 pm - Birch Run, MI
 Eight a day?!?! I thought taking 4 a day was gross enough...the bottle does say to take 4 a day, just curious on how I would need 8?

Also on the Centrum, I would need that once a day? And should it be swallowed whole or cut in half? I know I can swallow whole, just not sure if my pouch can handle it whole...

Thanks Kelly!
poet_kelly
on 8/2/12 11:25 pm - OH
The ASMBS says we need 200% of the RDA of most things and four Optisource only gives you 100% of most things.  So to get 200% you would need eight.

With Centrum, you would need two a day.  There are no multis that give you 200% of things in just one a day.  You can swallow it whole or cut it in half, whichever you prefer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

shellbell75
on 8/3/12 1:08 am
The cheapest  route is to buy your vits when the stores have buy 1 get 1 free. I stock up on them. Most stores like Walgreens or CVS have these sales often. Or buy them from Sam's or Costco. In regards to the calcium chews those are actually the more expensive route. I take the generic for of all my vits except for my Citracal petites. For the Biotin, if I could do it all over again, personally I wouldn't take it. I was diligent about getting my protein in and my hair still fell out and now I have tons of facial hair. Ugh. It is awful! But that is just my experience.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 7 views