Sipping after a meal

pittgal08
on 8/2/12 1:49 am
I had a quick, probably silly, question. I'm trying to practice all the little things that are so important after surgery. So I've been doing no liquid 30 min prior to a meal, and no liquid an hour after. However, I was wondering if it's ok, after surgery, to just take a very small sip just to "cleanse your pallette?" I'm trying really hard to create great habits now. Thanks guys!

poet_kelly
on 8/2/12 1:52 am - OH
I think a small sip is OK.  What you don't want to do is wash the food out of your pouch.

Also, I don't think there is really any reason not to drink for 30 minutes before a meal.  Liquid doesn't stay in your pouch more than a couple of minutes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

GraceGirl
on 8/2/12 1:54 am
I drink before the liquids wont sit in there like food.... I drink 30 minutes after. I think a small sip would be ok. I actually have done it (small sip) them I wait 30 minutes.

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/2/12 1:56 am - Baltimore, MD
I think it can be a slippery slope.

You can have a strawberry or other small bit of fruit after a meal to cleanse your palate as well. That way you're adhering to the rule but you don't have to deal with "food breath."

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

courtwillbehealthy
on 8/2/12 2:01 am - burlington, VT
 I am allowed to drink up to a meal because fluids wash right out of my pouch. then once i have finished eating i wait about 30 min before drinking. 
i have caught my self taking sips after a meal and personally its uncomfortable. its not hard for me to wait the 30 min because i know its going to feel icky. 
sometimes even after 30 min i still have food in my pouch so i wait another 15-20 min. i would stick to not drinking with your meal at least not right away wait 30 min if 1 hour is to long. 
MyLady Heidi
on 8/2/12 2:23 am
I have always sipped as needed, or really just a normal drink with my meals, since I was allowed to eat food and I am 7+ years out and 140@5'5.  You decide what works for you or doesn't.
grmadeb01
on 8/2/12 2:35 am - FL
i take a large swallow of water or lemonade just before my first bite...then i always take abite of some kind of fruit when done, that is my last bite...watermelon, cantaloups, straberry, grapes etc....then i wait the 60 min after eating to drink..i usually start looking at around the 45 min mark,, sometimes i wait the exgtra, sometimes i JUST need it now..so i do then...i realy try not to drink with my meals...once in a great while, if its kind of spicey, i will take a, sip..but then i try not to have spicey agaain if possible...good luck
debby
hannan
on 8/2/12 2:37 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
I have found that any time I have attempted to take a sip after a meal it hurts so bad it feels like it sits in the bottom of my esophagus and doesn't even go into my pouch, it may not wash the food out of me but OMG it hurts. I don't take a sip for at least an hour anymore because the few times I was just dying for something to drink it has ended up with me being VERY uncomfortable. I agree with Cleo who suggested a strawberry or small piece of fruit.

Lady Lithia
on 8/2/12 8:30 am
Those of us who have problms when we DO drink too soon after or during a meal generally never have any further need to "learn" this behavior.

I accidentally sipped some of hubby's ice-tea during a meal, and had to run to the restroom because I was certain I was going to throw up. I didn't but it was close.

The other day I had appetizers while we were out to eat, without thinking about the fact that I had ordered a soup meal. I drank a lot of the extremely yummy broth but by the time we left the restaurant I was queasy, and halfway home I vomited all over myself (and the interior of our car)

NOT one of my stellar moments.

I'm NEVER tempted to drink with my meals. Sometimes, if I'm thirsty, I'm tempted to not eat my meal so that I can continue getting liquids in, but I'm never tempted to drink with or right after.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

ToNewBeginnings
on 8/2/12 3:27 am
If you truly want to create great habits, don't sip after eating. You can get used to it.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 210 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 210 views