I see awesome recipes, but...

teetop1
on 8/3/12 10:56 am - MD
RNY on 05/22/12
...I'm not sure when I can try them. Between Bariatric Foodie and The World According to Eggface, I can find almost any WLS friendly food that I'd want to cook. But, I'm only 3 months out and am always trying to find out exactly when it would be "safe" to try a new recipe.

I don't mean safe as in "if I cook/eat that, my pouch would hurt". I mean safe as in my NUT wouldn't look at me like this--->.

How do you decide when it's okay to try something new (beyond a protein shake and a deli slice roll up)?

WHY am I still confused?
Cheryl N.
on 8/3/12 11:38 am - Des Moines, WA
I like bariatric foodie the best.. especially taco casserole!!!!! Try that one. I make it weekly now.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 8/3/12 12:15 pm
At one month out I was on a regular diet as tolerated.  I would take a bite of something and chew well.  I advoided the "white carbs"  white flour, white rice, white potatos, white bread, etc.  They don't sit well in my pouch anyway.  Other than limiting your new foods to one new one at a time to isolate what you can and can not eat you should be able to try recipes on both of those sites.

Winnie

poet_kelly
on 8/3/12 1:09 pm - OH
Are you on a regular diet now?  If so, you can try them now!  You are not responsible for how your dietician looks!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

flyingwoman
on 8/3/12 1:16 pm
You should be able to make any of those recipes at 3 months. I've never seen anything on BF or WAtE that wasn't appropriate to eat. Your dietitian might make that face but only because she doesn't understand that things like protein ice cream can be made healthy and post-op appropriate.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/3/12 1:37 pm - Baltimore, MD
Hi. I write Bariatric Foodie.

If it makes you feel any better I also demo the recipes from the blog in support groups with the full backing of the nutritionists at said groups and many NUTs follow the site.

I know the same is true of Shelly (Eggface). She did food demos and now she blogs to a community that includes surgeons, nutritionists and other health professionals (as do I).

So as long as you pick foods you know you can tolerate, I think you should be fine! Both Shelly and I strive to make our ingredients, cooking methods and recipe ideas healthy and yummy. And if you want/need to change something up...everyone knows my motto.

(all together now...)

Play with your food!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

teetop1
on 8/3/12 11:32 pm - MD
RNY on 05/22/12
Thanks, Nik! I guess I'm still battling the mindstate of "healthy food can't taste good...and good food ain't healthy". You (and Shelly) have proven that to not be true.  I just tried your curry chicken with cauliflower...didn't miss the rice at all!
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 510 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 492 views