Observation-Family Reunion-Mass Food Consumption

CindyKae64
on 8/13/12 8:14 am
RNY on 05/22/12

This is just something I observed this weekend. I went to a family reunion where everyone brought a side dish me included, then the main dish of pulled pork sandwiches and beans was provided by one of the cousins. My observation is that I was astonished by the mass amount of food everyone was consuming! Although I didn't I kept my portion very small, with a little bit of pulled pork (no bun), a little fruit, and a little vegtables, of which I did not finish any of and just took couple of small bites as I want to keep on track. But this left me pondering the question...why do people feel that when they are at any type of gathering that they have to fill their plates with a mound of food  just to get a taste of everything? I have never been one to fill my plate to a heaping "mound" porportion, but I never really paid attention to those around me before and the fact that this is pretty normal at gatherings, I am sure none of them eat like this at home so why do it at a gathering. My daughter was with me and she has never been one to heap her plate full and she remained true to herself and did not heap her plate at the reunion either. I was just astonished at the mass quantities of food everyone consumed....not judging anyone because I am the last person who should pass judgement on anyone and their food habits.

It will hurt. It will take time. It will require dedication. It will require willpower. It requires sacrifice. There will be temptation. But, I promise you, when you reach your goal, it's WORTH IT! (Author Unknown). I feel this sums up my ongoing journey to a healthier me!

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/12 8:46 am
why do people feel that when they are at any type of gathering that they have to fill their plates with a mound of food  just to get a taste of everything?

Because I want to see what it all tastes like! I still do it. A spoonful of this, a spoonful of that. I went to a big BBQ cook off kind of thing and got the little $1 sample cup (which was 1 or 2 bites) at about 4 different tents and then shared a shrimp and sausage skewer with my boyfriend. And that was that, I was full. All the recipes were a little different and tasted different. That's the whole point of those things, to go taste different stuff.

I didn't get fat because I don't like food, and I still really like food. I'm just limited to how much I can eat now so I'm selective. :) 
artroxy blue
on 8/13/12 8:51 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 That's what I'm expecting next year. My Mother's family is from North Carolina, so I'm totally expecting a HUGE spread. LOL

Food has always been very social, in my experiences. Someone died? Bring a casserole. Someone's having a cookout? Bring a dessert. And so on... I think the surgery changes your perspective from "living to eat" to "eating to live". You're so much more aware of your food choices now, you know? 
Cheryl N.
on 8/13/12 9:18 am - Des Moines, WA
I've seen people have a huge heaping plates of food on cruise.. I was on cruise last year a month after my rny surgery and the sight of that made me ill.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

soozieq
on 8/13/12 9:19 am
I notice overeating EVERYWHERE I go.  Even in my own home!  It's really difficult not saying something, but I will say my family has been making steps to watch portion control on their own.  Baby steps.

But I have noticed it makes me a little nauseous at how much people (I did it myself before I had surgery!) put away at social functions or even when they eat out.

Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
tomcat317
on 8/13/12 9:20 am - TX
I dont know why people do it. I damn sure was a willing and active participant before they "adjusted " me.
jmjm55077
on 8/13/12 10:44 am - MN
Never met a food I didn't like...ever...love food and loved eating...gave all that up to be healthy but like you, I tend to take little taste here and there...secretly I want to eat like the old days but I don't need to and that's something I had to learn...as well as the goal of being healthy instead of being full! Now I'm trying to teach my kids the same lesson but 'sport' eating is very habit forming...good luck...sounds like you know what will work for you!
jane   

MyLady Heidi
on 8/13/12 10:50 am
It's just the way it is, my bf's mom weighs 105lbs and can't eat much of anything yet at a party like that should would of had a full plate.  When food is free, people tend to hoard.  I never did because that would be embarassing for me, but many people do.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 308 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 292 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 0 replies · 14 views
Recent Topics