8 days post op having hard time with family dinner time

shedo
on 8/21/12 3:42 pm
 Hi. Well I am doing much better these days pain wise. I feel stronger everyday. However I am really mourning food.  I thought I wasn't going to be hungry. I keep thinking did my surgeon really give the bypass and just stab me a few times? I feel like my stomach is rumbling and I think about food and what I would love to eat. It has been almost 12 days. Since my last meal. Thursday info in for my first post op appt to move to next stage. Just wondering is this normal? Did you crave food? Will this ever go away?  
BeansOnToast
on 8/21/12 4:02 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 I'm about 3 weeks post op and not an hour has gone by that I didn't crave food like I used to eat. I also swear I feel hunger sometimes. But I know I don't, it's just in my head. Same with the cravings. I don't know when it goes away but for the most part, they're just normal to me now and I can ignore most of them. It doe**** pretty hard when someone in my house makes a BLT or a pizza and it's right in my face. But I know how much I hate feeling sick, so I indulge by smelling it and then walk away. 

Im positive it gets better at some point, otherwise all these people on here wouldn't be so happy. Lol
Mel.
xoxo

Dawn_117
on 8/21/12 4:12 pm
RNY on 07/24/12
I haven't had "real food" since July 16th so I know what you're saying.  I can't say that I've really been 'hungry' until the last few days though.  It doesn't seem like what I'm eating is cutting it anymore.  I go back for my month check up on Thursday and will then get to start the pureed stage for 2 weeks, then soft food for 2 weeks and then food.  I've just tried to look at it like this is giving my pouch time to heal properly.  Yes I mourn food that my family is having at that moment but it passes.  Just try to keep in mind that this won't last forever.  You can get throug this.  Do you use sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles for treats?  I go through lots of popsicles!!!  Be strong!!!!

Price S.
on 8/21/12 4:18 pm - Mills River, NC
Sorry you are having problems.  It does get better as you add more food and can eat stuff that is more solid.  But I rumbled for quite a while.
Are you on an acid reducer?  that may help if you are not on one.
I wasn't hungry for a very long time.  Food smelled good when someone cooked but I could have cared less about actually eating.  I was VERY ready for each phase change.  Are you getting your fluids in?  Drinking protein?

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

turidda25
on 8/21/12 4:34 pm
Its all mental. Sometimes im like I AM STARVING (12 weeks post op)... I take a bite and am like WHAT AM I DOING!
Do this... write down what your feeling when your hungry. Once you associate that its frustration or sadness or anger you evtually learn that you arent hungryits just your "fat brain" making you think you are.

It doesnt ever go away. Its always there. You just have to put a leash on it and tell it to stop!
Tim T.
on 8/21/12 4:36 pm - Eastham, MA
I'm over 13 months out, and let me tell you how frustrating it is to be starving (not head hunger) and sit down in a restaurant and order an app, entree and take two bites of each and be stuffed. Then look at yourself in the mirror and see that you're trim and buff, and realize that it's all a means to an end and worth every inconveinence

Katie C.
on 8/21/12 4:36 pm - chugiak, AK
You can do it!!!!!! Family meal time is hard. I am 15 weeks out, and the cook in the family. The first few weeks were tough because I was cooking for them, and had to constantly remind myself don't taste what you are making. I just prayed it tasted good for them LOL.
I only had one really bad day, about week 3, I wanted something to chew...tired of the mushy stuff. I caved and I ate ONE wheat thin. I took bites smaller than a mouse would take, and took a half hour to eat it, but OMG, that crunch got me over the hump.
Good luck to you in your journey. It is definately a daily work in progress for me. I wish you TONS of success!!
Hugs!

Katie
"Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been"

marye140
on 8/21/12 4:44 pm - DE

I have craved alot of things, but there is no way I think I could physically eat it at this point,  Alot of it for me is behavioral.  For instance, I went clothes shopping with my daughter which would have ended normally with lunch out.  Every restaraunt on the way home called my name.  The shake I was drinking in the car certainly did not have the same appeal.   

HW: 298   SW:263  CW:139   RNY 8/1/12

MrsLitch
on 8/21/12 6:04 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I have felt real hunger since a few weeks out and a couple of bites makes it go away. As you progress through the stages it will get easier. I still crave "easy food" like being able to grab a bologna sandwich instead of mindfully weighing and cooking my food but it's because of convenience I miss it most.

I also have issues with meal time sometimes and I've decided those days dad and the boys eat at the dining room table and I eat in the living room. It's easier on me and they understand why after I had them each take the size bite I do count to 30 chews and then wait for the next bite. They all said they don't know how I do it. I told them when they shovel normally I tend to "keep up with them" and it hurts so I need to sit out on dinner sometimes. They all agreed that was best for me for now. I'm sure I'll rejoin them everynight sometime in the near future. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

sarahmathis1681
on 8/21/12 6:15 pm
RNY on 02/13/12
 im 6 months post op and i totally remember the first month it was horrible but i promise you it DOES get better i started out at 510 pounds and have lost a little over 90 pounds so its very worth all the misery i went through in the beginning

http://www.weight-loss-center.net

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 313 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 229 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 52 views
Recent Topics