Need post op recovery info

Louise1974
on 8/25/12 8:31 pm
I just got my surgery date!!!!!! Sept 25th!  I can't believe it is actually here.  My husband and I are trying to figure out what I will need post op.  We have two sweet little girls four and one and a half.  Can people give me some really honest info about how they felt post op, what they wished they had known, what support they needed, and what they were actually able to do.  The only other surgery I had was a few months ago and the (100 lb energizer bunny) surgeon promised me I would feel great and be fine after two weeks and I was a MESS for weeks and afterwards the nurse was like, oh, well, that is why you are supposed to take three months off work and I was like, What?!?!?!  Noone told me that!  So I have learned my lesson and am asking for some good advice. 
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/12 8:36 pm - WA
RNY on 08/21/12
I just had mine last Tuesday. I'm hurting, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. My doctor recommends 3 weeks off, which is what I'm taking and think it'll work out just fine.
Zeigled
on 8/25/12 9:00 pm - Parkton, MD
I had open - AND felt like $%#@! for 4 weeks.  I was in pain for about 10 days.  Nauseated from days 6-15 and was tired/depressed the whole time.  I wasn't hungry.  Zofran helped with the nausea.  I've never had children and don't really like them so I don't know if that will be a plus for you or a minus....they may provide comfort - they may be an annoyance.  I don't know for you.  I needed a lot of rest and took it very easy.
HW 357 SW 341   

madeformore
on 8/25/12 9:02 pm - MN
RNY on 06/21/12
I am two months out. I have a 6 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old (10 months at surgery time). I am a stay at home Mom to them. My husband was off work with me for a week and I had two friends who helped each for one partial day right after. Then with weekends and the 4th of July holiday, my husband was home again. Anyway, I was on my own with the kids by the two week mark. I felt fine by the one week mark tho - although by the time he was home for work each evening, I was ready to be off-duty! :)

Its different for everyone though so I would plan for help for a few weeks and cancel if you are feeling up to it.

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

supermom.lisa
on 8/25/12 9:17 pm - TX
RNY on 08/13/12
Hi, first off congrats on getting your surgery date. I am about 2 weeks post op myself and have two little girls that were home with me during recovery. 6 and 3. and honestly the first night after surgery your in the hospital anyway the next 2 days sucked really bad and i had to have help. i was able to get up and make them dinner and so forth but it was hard. by the 4th day post op i stopped taking the pain meds and that kinda made me feel better in its self because i wasnt all groggy and loopy. the pain is more from soreness and the gas than anything else in my experience any how. im 12 days out right now and feel awesome.
rynbiz
on 8/25/12 9:26 pm - Surprise, AZ
Had open 8/6 went to college 8/20 and still feel great now I am only 32 and my surgeon said he's never seen someone heal so fast my incision was healed completley in four days.So I guess it all depends how you heal and your pain tolerance im a freak of nature and my body heals quickly sounds like you don't from past exp so I would say normal is usually six weeks good luck listen to your surgeon I didn't and threw up twice because my pouch couldn't tolerate food I was shoving in my mouth a week out.just listen to your doctor you will do fine

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/12 1:59 am - Stafford, VA
RNY on 08/14/12
Hi there. Congrats! I had RYN-Y on 8/14 which was a Tuesday. I went home on Thursday afternoon. It sucked being in the hospital, just real sore, had the morphine pump. Getting up to pee sucked. The morphine paralyzed my blatter partially so it's real important for them to keep track of your out put.
Friday, Sat, and Sunday I was weak, but that's to be expected. By Monday I was feeling a whole lot better. I have 2 girls as well but they're 12 and 16. Don't try to do too much. Rest when you get tired. Drink plenty of fluids. It's been 12 days and I feel a lot better. don't cheat! I've eaten some whole foods, small amonuts but your body won't like it. Don't keep anything in the house that might tempt you.
Keep a small pillow on hand for when you sneeze. Use it to brace yourself. Wear the compression belt they should put on you in the hospital! Use your spirimeter at least 2x's a day!! Thus will help you lungs expand. You will need help with your little ones, so male sure you accept any help that's available. You're not suppose to lift anything over 10lbs for 8 weeks.
Good luck!!!!
artroxy blue
on 8/26/12 4:11 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I'd really recommend 3 weeks of having help, if possible. I'm coming up on 2 weeks post-op, and my 18-month old daughter is a handful! I pulled a muscle last week, so I'm getting some extra help this week. My husband is also working from home, so that helps me if I need to run out and get a prescription, doctor's appointment, etc. We've been dropping my daughter off at my parents' house M-F, so I can get rest. I feel 1000% better than when I left the hospital, but I'm still leery of holding my daughter (she's about 25lbs.). 
Kenny B.
on 8/26/12 4:32 am - Leland, NC
RNY on 01/30/12
I had Lapro RNY, was out for 3 weeks. But the first couple of days was hard. By the 4th day I was feeling great. After 2 weeks I was ready to go back to work. Everyone is different, listen to your body and your surgeon.

Kenny B.
Philippians 4;6-7

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Allen Y.
on 8/26/12 4:45 am - Garland, TX
You will  not be able to pick up your baby at all for weeks. But you should not have any issue doing small activies for short amounts of time. it gets a little better for most people day by day and after two weeks most feel 97% normal. Still don't go picking anything over 20 lbs up or you could get a hernia. DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW....

Most Active
Recent Topics