Howzit?

Barb H.
on 8/26/12 6:11 pm - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
I've been MIA for a while and miss the regular interaction with my fellow travelers. I really need to stop the FB games which I've allowed to suck the energy out of me, and spend more time here and on my blog.

With a little trepidation, I am happy to say I have joined the group of Onderlanders! I say "trepidation" because I've dipped below 200 a few times, well maybe only a couple, and slid back up never to see it again. With my band, I slid under 200 for about 45 seconds, but this time, I've maintained it for about a week. However, I know it could be better if I wasn't munching so much on carbs.

Duh.

The past week or so I've been having some unusual physical issues. Not scary enough to go to the doctor about (I don't think so anyway), but enough to make me stop and take notice. One is that I am starting to feel slightly lightheaded mid-morning but nothing like I used to feel when my hypoglycemia was more active. I was diagnosed with it about 30 years ago but for the most part, have always been able to control it with diet. I am aware that reactive hypoglycemia is common post gastric bypass, but thought if it was going to happen, it would be when I was further out. I am at 7 months out now. The other thing that has been happening is feeling very dizzy when I get up. I teach and it has happened several times during class. This could very well be caused from dehydration as I have a hard time remembering to drink my water. Yesterday was a particularly bad day for me. I slept until about 7am, got up and had coffee, then later some breakfast, and was back in bed at around 10am. I woke up around 2:30, had something to drink and eat (not at the same time), and around 5ish, went back to bed and slept until 9:30. Got up again, ate something and went back to bed and slept all night. I felt so tired, and earlier my tummy/gut wasn't happy with me, but it wasn't anything I could really define. I'm better today, making a pointed effort to drink more water, but still get really dizzy when I stand up.

I don't want to feel this way and need to know what is causing it. Realizing the majority of you aren't doctors, does anyone have any suggestions?
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

Kat Kat
on 8/26/12 7:15 pm - AZ

Hi Barb,

It could very well be dehydration. I get dizzy if I don't get enough fluids. Because they are so important, I had to figure out what worked best for me. I think you'll have to make a plan of what works best for you, and stick to it for a while to see if things improve.

As for me, I tried lugging heavy cases of water home, and that was just too much on a regular basis. I also hate regular tap water, and despise the taste  of Splenda, aspartame and Truvia in my drinks. I ended up buying a Britta water filter for my fridge (the big one with a spigot ) with lots of extra filters. The water is great, easily accessible, cold, and I don't have to lug heavy cases around anymore.

I also really owe someone on OH a huge THANK YOU! They talked about hating sugar substitutes too, and how they used, and loved Nu Naturals liquid Stevia. I was able to go from drinking skim milk, protein shakes and water for many months after surgery, to adding the Stevia to unsweetened Kool-aid, iced tea, homemade lemonade, coffee and fruit smoothies. I even have a Popsicle maker which I add Stevia sweetened Kool-aid  which is a treat for me when it's hot. Now I have a lot more variety which is nice.

I am lucky enough to be able to handle drinking with a straw. I don't know why, and doubt I will get therapy because it isn't a problem, but if I use a straw, I easily consume enough fluids. I keep a crock filled with them on my kitchen counter, so they are easily accessible. 

This is the typical plan I follow. I'm supposed to have 48 - 64 oz of fluids a day. In the morning I make a smoothie with 8 oz of skim milk, then I have 12 oz of coffee. So that's 20 oz  from when I wake up to right after my 1st morning meeting. I keep 12 oz of water in my briefcase, and drink that with a straw mid-morning.  Just before lunch I drink 8 more oz of water with a straw, so then I'm up to 40 oz. at lunch time. I make sure to drink one more12 oz bottle of water or sweetened Kool-aid in the afternoon, 12 oz of milk before dinner, and another 12 oz bottle of water or sweetened Kool-aid at my pc at night. So my daily total is, 76 oz. Since caffeine dehydrates me a little, I think it's best for me to make sure I go past my daily maximum. Oh, and sometimes I have more milk just before bed because it makes me feel full, and helps me sleep better.

I have been struggling with fatigue too, and go in for my labs on the 31st, so hopefully Kelly will take a look  and see if something is amiss. Have you had your labs done recently?

Until you get the dizziness under control, try to rise slowly, and always check with your doctor when in doubt about any medical condition.

Best Wishes my Friend!
Kat

Barb H.
on 8/26/12 7:42 pm - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
Hey Kat!

Thank you so much for the structure you suggested! This is where I always fall off the wagon. I'm ADD and very easily distracted so unless I have an established routine, it's really easy to not do well.

I also am delighted to hear about the stevia. We've tried one in a packet but it tasted really gross but I knew there were some that were good. I will definitely look for this one.

I started work again about 2 months ago and have been so focused on my job (I teach adults Job Readiness) that I forget to take care of myself. I think I just need to keep my water bottle in my hand all day. I don't eat right away in the morning because i take thyroid medicine and have to wait an hour before I can eat. I also can't eat right away in the morning because it doesn't go down well. And like you, I always drink filtered water. I never thought about using the sugar free koolaid with the stevia.

Thanks again for all your really good suggestions. How are you doing?
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

Kat Kat
on 8/26/12 8:25 pm - AZ
Hey Barb,

I get the Nu Naturals liquid, alcohol free, Stevia in the brown bottle with the eye dropper from Wegmans, or Whole foods in the Supplements/Health section. You can order it on-line too though. It's a little pricey at a little over $11 a bottle, but a little goes a long way.

I admire your career choice. So many people will benefit from your assistance, especially with the current job climate. It's easy to get busy, and focused elsewhere for me too, so a plan is a must  when it comes to eating and drinking properly.

I'm doing really well, thanks for asking. I just got back from my first vacation in 2 1/2 years unless I count the time I was off for surgery (which I don't). I went to Disney in FL. Rented a peaceful villa with 3 beautiful pools, pea****s wandering around, and big beautiful lush plants everywhere. I went to the fabulous Cirque du Soleil ‘La Nouba' and did as many Disney parks as possible. I loved Epcot, swam with the sharks at Typhoon Lagoon, went on a Safari at Animal Kingdom, and saw the eyes of my 7 year old niece widen and light up in the Magic Kingdom. On top of it all, I came back 3 lbs lighter...Yay!

I hope you get the fluids thing down because I know too well that it can be a challenge when your busy.

Hugs,
Kat

Cherokeesage
on 8/26/12 9:19 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
Good to see a post from you.  Hope you figure out what is causing the dizziness soon.  I have a few dizzy spells and attribute mine to  when I don't drink enough water.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

qnmimi
on 8/26/12 10:45 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Your dizziness also sounds like it could be orthostatic hypotension (rapid decrease in blood pressure with change in position) Are you on any bp meds? Could be time for a dosage decrease, or stopping the med if this is the issue, and that would require a check with your PCP.
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/27/12 8:12 am
My first real RH started after a morning meal. IF I had any carbs for breakfast or not enough fat (like protein only breakfas****e rbased protein shake) I would crash. Check your BS.
What worked for me - was eating 1 tsp of natural PB before I had my coffee or anything else.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 485 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 412 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 180 views
Recent Topics