HA!! We Rock...

Sherrie P.
on 8/28/12 7:06 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
I went to a "panel of experts" support group meeting tonight. (I am 2wks pre-op) and proud to say I could have answered all the questions!!

WHY??  Because all the answers are right here.  Especially if you know where to look.

So, if you are new to the site, I doubt there is an unanswered question to be found here.  Just search for a subject!!

What I really wanted to say was "hey guys... go to Obesity Help... don't you read???"

YAY for being here!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/28/12 7:17 pm - OH
I am so glad that you are so well informed.  My surgeon provided GREAT pre-op education, and i initially assumed that ALL surgeons would do the same, but I have discovered that there are many people who are not that fortunate.  I am always disappointed when I read posts from people whose surgeons gave them almost NO pre-op education and I get angry sometimes when people are given downright BAD information (usually by dietitians or nutritionists, but occasionally from their surgeons).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sherrie P.
on 8/28/12 7:26 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
Well, I am at a Center for Excellence. I have also read Weight Loss for Dummies from cover to cover.. I have been here for a long time... and I have 5 friends that had RNY.  So - yeah, I have personally done a lot of research.  I was not trying to brag - but to congratulate the site for be so thorough.  So many vets like yourself constantly available for feedback.

They gave me a list of 5 books, and I wonder how many people actually read them.  Information is power.

My dear friend swears she was never told about the honeymoon phase and assumed she would lose until she was "there" - well she is 12 months out and has been stalled for about 3 months and has lost less than half of her excess weight.  Sigh.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/28/12 8:13 pm - OH
Unfortunately, using a Center of Excellence surgeon is no guarantee that patients will get all the necessary information they need.  The requirements for obtaining a COE designation have very little to do wih patient education and nothing at all to do with the qualifications of any nutritionist or dietician utilized by the practice.

I am absolutely appalled by the number of people who are NOT told that teh caloric malabsorption is not permanent, that only about 30% of RNYers dump, and that NSAIDs should be avoided unless absolutely necessary (for life) after RNY.  Knowing those things are critical to patients making an informed decision about whether or not to have RNY (and giving informed consent for surgery).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics