Revision preop - scared of complications!

mymeow
on 8/27/12 9:06 am - Parker, CO
RNY on 02/12/13
I had a Lap Band in 4/2008, did great until it slipped.  The surgery and recovery itself went great, no problems.  I lost 55 lbs, give or take a few.  I still have my band, but it's unfilled.  I am going through all of the steps needed to get a revision and will most likely get it after the first of the year.  I really want this surgery and know I need it, especially since the band has to come out eventually, so I might as well get it done!  I am just worried about the potential complications that come with it.  Some of the posts I read on the site scare me!  Is it normal to feel this way?  I have had 2 abdominal surgeries - the Lap Band and a C-section - and both of them I healed really fast, minus the fact I tend to get sick coming out of anesthesia.  I know a few people who have had RNY with no problems.  I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance!

Robin

Lap Band 4/15/2008 (SW 304); Revision to RNY 2/12/2013

HW for RNY 268, SW 255, CW 174

april89love
on 8/27/12 9:10 am - NC
You tend to post more when you are having a problem. There are many more people who are doing awesome, you just don't hear about it. Hope you are able to get your surgery soon.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/27/12 9:11 am
Most folks only post when they have issues. Rarely will you see a post about how someone is three months out and had no problems, which is too bad, because many of us had no complications.

I didn't. I had an uneventful, speedy recovery. Recovery from my gall bladder removal was more painful. Chances are in your favor that you will have an uneventful recovery.
poet_kelly
on 8/27/12 9:29 am - OH
On August 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM Pacific Time, mymeow wrote:
I had a Lap Band in 4/2008, did great until it slipped.  The surgery and recovery itself went great, no problems.  I lost 55 lbs, give or take a few.  I still have my band, but it's unfilled.  I am going through all of the steps needed to get a revision and will most likely get it after the first of the year.  I really want this surgery and know I need it, especially since the band has to come out eventually, so I might as well get it done!  I am just worried about the potential complications that come with it.  Some of the posts I read on the site scare me!  Is it normal to feel this way?  I have had 2 abdominal surgeries - the Lap Band and a C-section - and both of them I healed really fast, minus the fact I tend to get sick coming out of anesthesia.  I know a few people who have had RNY with no problems.  I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance!
Does it help to know that the risk of complications from RNY is about the same as the risk from any other abdominal surgery?  Any major surgery is riskier in someone that is morbidly obese than in someone that is a normal weight, but RNy is really no more dangerous than lap band surgery or a C section.

If you've been nauseous from the anesthesia in the past, let the anesthesiologist know that and if possible, make sure he/she has your records from past surgeries.  They may be able to use different drugs this time and they can definitely give you something to prevent nausea.  That may not even be an issue this time!

Of course it's normal to be worried.  It's important to be aware of the complications that can happen.  But it's also important to understand that they are not very common.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mamazoune
on 8/27/12 9:48 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12
Hey there, my story is similar.  I was banded in 2007 lost 80 lbs and had a terrible slip which resulted in emergency surgery in 2011.  I put all my weight back on and had a revision to RNY on August 1st 2012.  It took a year to go through the pre-screening process. This was my 7th surgery and the easiest to recover from.  I was extremely nauseated though and required senitol while on narcotics so stopped taking them after day 2 and was just fine taking Tylenol until day 4.  The scars are the same I have a set of three for every incision now which is why I would have loved the option of have the band removal and RNY at the same time. 

I'm 4 weeks post -op and down 30 lbs so am happy with the loss and am feeling great so far. 

Good luck with your decision, I know how difficult it can be!  Take care 
Mamazoune                
terilynn112
on 8/27/12 11:24 am - maryland, NY
I'm another band to bypass revision, that's now had a tt. (Tummy tuck). I have had chronic nausea, but it's managed with meds. I did go through a ton of tests to try to find a reason. None found.

I've had many stomach surgeries. Have very few scars now.

The revision I had was directly band out, bypass done, and I was home 4 days later, and taking care of my kids.
Single mom here.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Tracey K.
on 8/27/12 11:32 am - NJ
RNY on 08/24/12
 I had the Lap band in march 2008. I have the band removed 6 weeks ago and had my revision surgery to rny on Friday! I am doing great! I was up walking around the evening after surgery and home the next day. I had no complications and havent taken anything for pain in about 16 hours! Good luck to you, you'll do great!! 
marianthelibrarian
on 8/27/12 12:29 pm
I'm also a band-to-bypass revision.  I had my LapBand in 2005, and I did well with it until I started having reflux problems.  When we loosened my band to help with the reflux, the weight started piling back on.  Four weeks ago I had my band taken out and RNY at the same time.  Other than a longer hospital stay that most folks around here seem to have (I stayed four nights) I'm having a typical recovery with no complications.  (knocks on wood)

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

mymeow
on 8/27/12 1:26 pm - Parker, CO
RNY on 02/12/13
Thanks for all of the responses!  It's also great to hear from others who have had revisions from band to RNY.  It seems like such a common thing anymore, unfortunately!  If I would've known the band had this many complications when I was originally looking into WLS, I never would've had it!  I had my band unfilled in June and have gained around 5 lbs, which I guess isn't bad considering, but still.......

I think my fear of complications stems from some personal and family health problems that have occurred within the past year.  Last year, I had 2 separate thyroid surgeries and both unexpectedly found cancer (2 surgeries, 2 unexpected surprirses).  I am fine now, but it has left me with some insecurities.  Also, my father was diagnosed with esophageal cancer earlier this year after the doctors telling him his chances of having it were very slim.  It's like whenever I expect the best and am positive, the opposite happens, so a part of me is expecting that with this surgery as well.  I guess it's something I need to deal with sooner than later.

On another note, my surgeon is great and I trust him and his skills.  When I talked to him about a revision, I was leaning towards a VSG, but strongly recommended an RNY instead.  He said the complication rates were the same.  I guess I always assumed an RNY had higher risks of complications, but apparently not. 

Thanks for listening to me rant and boost my confidence!  I know in the end it will all be worth it, but it's just kind of scary getting to that point!

Robin

Lap Band 4/15/2008 (SW 304); Revision to RNY 2/12/2013

HW for RNY 268, SW 255, CW 174

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 8/27/12 1:46 pm - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
Start right now to envision a GREAT surgery and a fast recovery , change your thinking and some of your fears will go away.
Before my TT I went to hypnotherapy , I was so frightened because I had almost died twice from a mistake the nurse anesthetist made...talk about scared.
The Therapy worked great and my fear level was manageable

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 194 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 115 views
Recent Topics