OMG I NEED HELP/ADVICE QUICK!!!!!!

Amy D.
on 9/4/12 9:13 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
I lost 15 lbs. on my one week pre-op liquid diet. 100% liquids and only 20 g of protein allowed each day. It sucked but I do what I'm told, lol. My doc's office didn't spring that whole "you can't gain weight" thing on us until the last minute either but fortunately I lost almost 40 lbs. before surgery so it was no biggie for me.

Also, sorta off topic to your actual question, but you might want to reconsider walking that 5k 2 weeks after surgery. I walked 3 miles every day right up until surgery and would not have been able to do a 5k--even walking--that soon afterwards. You'll be amazed at how weak and sore you'll be. Just my 2 cents, tho.

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Sherrie P.
on 9/4/12 9:57 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Thanks for the 5k advice.

It is a big deal at work, so I am stuck on the team.  It is an Alzheimer's walk, so they also have short cuts and stuff for the seniors ;-)   I will only do what I can.

IF I GET TO HAVE MY DARN SURGERY!!!!

Grrrr...

Wow 20 grams of protein a day??? So I guess you could not drink protein shakes?

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Btrue2u
on 9/6/12 1:45 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
No you should get in much more protein than that for sure.  My pre -op diet I was to have 109-129g of protein a day ......with that said you should be able to do the  protein shakes.  Best of luck    
madeformore
on 9/4/12 9:17 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12
Does your program have a dietician you are working with? I would contact that person for a healthy solution - and ask if they have a liquid diet they recommend to get the desired results. This can't be the first time they've encountered this. (I did a 2 wk pre-op liquid diet and lost 15 lbs).

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

Sherrie P.
on 9/4/12 9:54 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I just called the dietician and had to leave a message.

I will see what she recommends.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

marianthelibrarian
on 9/4/12 10:03 am
 It's unfair to change the rules on you now!  

But you can probably take the weight off with a pre-surgical liquid diet.  In the two weeks before I had surgery, I lost 16 lbs.  When I had my lapband in 2005 at a heavier weight, I lost 20 lbs on my two week pre-surgical diet.  The diet my surgeon uses is:

* up to 5-6 protein shakes per day, depending on the brand you choose (less than 1000 calories, at least 50g protein)
* plus up to 1 cup veggies (no corn, beans, potatoes and such)
* no more than 1 tbsp ff salad dressing for your veggies
* only decaffeinated, non-caloric drinks.

I think all you can do at this point is try.  Do a pre-surgical diet.  Go for your next weigh-in in the morning.  Use the bathroom just before you weigh.  Wear light clothes and take off your shoes.  

Fingers crossed for you!  We're all pulling for you!

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

longhornrose
on 9/4/12 10:17 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Sorry you've run into this problem; it's a shame no one advised you on this.  When I saw my surgeon at the consult, I asked if I would have to lose weight before surgery, and he responded that he didn't require it, but that if I actualled gained, he wouldn't operate.  In your case, it sounds like a combination of both your insurance company and your doctor that requires it. 

Whether anyone told you this or not, the bottom line is that people who lose weight prior to surgery - as much weight as possible - will be better prepared.  This will allow your surgeon a better view of what he's doing, and in the long run, reduce the risk of complications afterwards.  

As for shrinking the liver, I've read many, many times here on OH how important that is for your surgeon to again, lessen the risks of surgery.  Here is a post I found by searching for "shrinking the liver":

Post Date: 3/26/10 11:19 am

My surgical experience (RN for 22 years) is that 2 weeks of low (or no) carb diet can shrink the liver significantly.

I have seen big, slippery livers in the OR. It is nothing nice and really makes it harder for the surgeons to do laparoscopic procedures.

Try to stick with it. I had to do it too. I know it is tough.

As a lot of other posters have suggested, I would immediately start a liquid diet of high protein/low calorie shakes, and drink water like crazy.  Be sure the shakes have at least 25 - 30 grams of protein per serving.  I'm sure bumping up your exercise as much as possible would help, too.  In fact, it would be a good idea to bump up the exercise anyway, as I've read that it's important to increase your lung capacity before surgery to help prevent any pulmonary problems, such as pneumonia.

Even if you don't lose all 9 lbs. (although I would think if you are able to stick with the diet religiously, you'd have a good chance of losing all or most of it), it will maybe keep the surgery from being cancelled.  At any rate, you've gotten this far, and there is so much at stake that it's certainly worth a try.   Oh, and btw, I'm on Day 6 of my pre-op diet, and have lost 4 lbs.  Although I'm disappointed it hasn't been more, I haven't been exercising, and that probably is keeping me from losing more.    
Hope everything works out all right for you.

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Sherrie P.
on 9/4/12 11:01 am
RNY on 02/06/13
So I called the dietician - and she claims the OTHER dietician sent me a LETTER that advised me to lose weight.  NOPE.  The letter told me that I needed to focus on eating slower, taking 20-30 minutes at a mean and not eating and drinking at the same time.

I call shenanigans!!

Whatever, I will lose this stupid nine pounds. I am going to do the liquid protein shakes and go from there. 

Thanks for EVERY REPLY!!!!!!

Carol M.
on 9/4/12 3:36 pm - TX
Do a liquid protein diet starting right now. But stay away from adding milk. Use water or Almond milk. I lost 14 pounds in the 2 weeks before my surgery. It makes your surgery safer, also, as the liver isn't as fragile after a lot of the fat is gone. The first three days will be hard, but drink lots of water and fight through it if you really want this surgery now.  Your body will go into Ketosis and you will drop pounds really fast. I am sorry that not all clinics and doctors do not give good information either before or after surgery.  I am so glad I had to use a Center of Excellence as required by my insurance. I credit them with my success.

I think you can do this.

Sherrie P.
on 9/4/12 5:46 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
I am at Duke University. They are a Center of Excellence.
When I questioned them, they said that it was all sent to me in a letter from the dietician. Honest to God, I thought all the weight loss advice was for after surgery.  I mean, duh?  Right ...

I just wish someone would have spelled out very clearly ... as in "DON'T GAIN WEIGHT FROM THIS POINT OR NO SURGERY!!!"

That would have done it for me ;-)

Thanks for your encouragment.

Went to the gym after work!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 217 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 285 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?