OMG I NEED HELP/ADVICE QUICK!!!!!!

Sherrie P.
on 9/4/12 8:22 am
RNY on 02/06/13

So I am scheduled for RNY next Friday 9/14.  My preop was last Friday 8/31.
The nurse just called and said I had gained 9 pounds since my initial consultation and that my insurance might deny the surgery and that Dr. Yoo would not do the surgery unless the weight came back off and that I needed to come in for a weigh-in the day before surgery.

So first of all, I need to say that I was hard-core dieting right before my consult, because I was trying to lose weight for my cruise.  So I weighed in that morning with the nurse, who said nothing about it.  Then I went on my cruise and went about my summer as usual.  NO ONE and I mean NO ONE in the program told me that I could not gain weight before my pre-op.  Now, I know that it would be the BEST for me to lose a bunch before surgery, but I was not told to. We don't even have a pre-op diet.  So I think it is a bit unfair that you don't tell me that I cannot gain any weight...  then threaten to cancel my surgery because I gained 9 pounds.  I lose and gain the same 10-15 pounds all the dang time.

Please don't give me a hard time about gaining or "last supper syndrome" - I get it. 

Then when they did my weigh in on Friday, it was right after lunch in the afternoon too - so I am hoping that was also part of the pounds.

How the heck am I gonna lose 9 pounds in 9 days??

I have to!!  PLEASE any crazy crash diet advice would be helpful.  They just cannot cancel this surgery!!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

NevillesMom
on 9/4/12 8:28 am - MA
Try a liquid diet. I lost 10 pounds the week prior to my surgery. I replaced breakfast and lunch w/ vanilla protein powder mixed with water. Dinner was grilled chicken and steamed veggies and I worked out everyday. If I had a snack it was some nuts or a cheese stick. My surgeon has us weigh i the morning of surgery. That morning I did still go to the gym and it was hard as hell not drinking any water!

Good Luck.

Larry Wassmann
on 9/4/12 8:32 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Well I am sorry but I don't think you could lose that much weight in a safe way by then. I lost 30 pounds pre-OP but was told that if I had not lost, or gained the operation would be re-scheduled. I think it may be better for you to delay your surgery and lose some weight before you have RNY as it will make it easier on your surgeon and you. Is there a hurry to get it done, I know you want it, but a delay of a month or so will not kill you are will it? Better be safe than sorry. Just my 2 cents

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Sherrie P.
on 9/4/12 8:53 am
RNY on 02/06/13
Yes, my clinic schedule at work has been modified for my surgery. I have not been taking new patients for 3 weeks now - and I have coverage in place for two weeks .. it will be a disaster if I have to reschedule.  I would bump into another provider's vacation.  Just a mess.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Carmen C.
on 9/4/12 8:33 am
RNY on 08/08/12
Each doctor is diffrent.. I gain weight before surgery.. I was a unique case I did everything backwards.. Just do what you got to do.. good time to go on a liquid diet - stomach it out.. good laxative -- might do you good :).. YOU CAN DO THIS..

But agian.. I can't see how the surgeon would cancel everything just for a few pounds.. but again every surgeon is dfirrent mine didn't.

Had RNY on 8/8/2012- revision from Gastric sleeve in 12/2008-  
LOST 5.8 POUNDS POST-OPT

jazzycatz
on 9/4/12 8:35 am - Joppa, MD
I love it when they leave out those important details. I'm sorry. And I hate to say this...because I hated to do it...but I did have a pre-op diet. 14 days of protein shakes. I could have up to 5/day, I believe.

It was a pain. But I did lose 13lbs. So you might want to think about that. Or like the previous poster said, 2 shakes and one very lean meal.

Good Luck!

Jen V.
on 9/4/12 8:36 am - Waterford Township, MI
RNY on 06/29/12

I lost 22 pounds in 2 weeks on my doctor's pre-op diet. I used this http://www.bodyfortress.com/SUPER-ADVANCED-WHEY-PROTEIN-CHOC OLATE twice a day. 1 scoop in WATER. Use half a bottle of water and shake the crap out of it. Then try to eat as many GREEN veggies as possible. 3-5 times a day, eat green veggies. Broccoli is the only one I like, so I was only eating broccoli. DO NOT add butter or dressing to them. You CAN add spices. Limit the salt. Cooked or raw is fine. Nothing to drink bu****er and Crystal Lite. Plain water is better. Try to get in 100 oz. Yes, you heard me 100! This will help flush the fat and toxins out of your body. Also, get your butt walking. This will help you for after the surgery, too. You will need to walk, walk, walk after surgery, so you may as well start now. Try to get up to 1/2 mile by surgery day. You can do it!

Sherrie P.
on 9/4/12 8:55 am
RNY on 02/06/13
Thanks for the link.
I am very active - I have a gym membership and can walk no problem.  I have a 5k scheduled to walk 2 weeks after surgery.
I am gonna try to steam room too!

I think I am going to go liquid protein and just do my best. I emailed the surgeon.  I can't wait to see what he says....

Sandy S.
on 9/4/12 9:04 am - MD
RNY on 05/07/12
I lost a pound a day on my 2 week pre op diet, only 2 days were liquid, the other days were just staying under 20 grams of carbs a day. The diet is to shrink the liver so that it's easier to get it out of the way for surgery.

Elizabeth G.
on 9/4/12 9:29 am - RI
RNY on 10/18/12
Sandy - This is not dig on you but you bring up an interesting point. My surgeon's office told me the same thing about needing to shrink the liver.

.... So we lose weight pre-op to shrink the liver.  Just how exactly does the liver shrink if we only lose 10, 15 or 20+ pounds. Such a small amount of weight loss does NOT tangibly shrink the liver. If the liver does shrink, I have got to believe it would be by a nearly immeasurably small amount. Hooey, hogwash, no-way-I-believe-it, nuh-uh, not-a-subscriber! 

However, losing some weight pre-op does show commitment. I do agree with that.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 71 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 245 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 259 views