I know, I know..... 3 weeks out and BLAH (long)

bitchblubber
on 9/4/12 4:58 am - MD
RNY on 08/14/12
I know that I really need to get out of my head, but I keep getting sucked back in.  I'm feeling discouraged and defeated and although I keep telling myself that everyone is different, I feel as though my biggest fears are coming true.

Today marks 3 weeks since surgery and I'm clocking in at a whopping 14lb loss.  Woo-fippin-who!  :(  I feel like this is super slow (wk1- 9lbs; wk2- 2lbs; wk3- 3lbs).  Yes, I know its not going to just fall off of me with me just sitting on the couch, but with only taking in 600-700 calories a day, I figured I'd drop a bit more.... I know I need to throw out my scale, but I'm frustrated that even my clothes are fitting the same as they did pre-rny. blah. 

I've progressed nicely so far.  No real pain or discomfort.  I'm still on pureed food until next Monday (then soft food for 2 weeks).  I'm getting 80-100+ in protein a day (approx 65% of Daily) - with no issues with food.  Yes, I'm eating a bunch less than I used to and I'm measuring my food.  I can eat anywhere from 2-3.5 oz of food depending on what it is, but I usually measure out between 2.5-3oz.  I'm doing better than I thought with the 'no drinking with food and no drinking before/after).  Most days are good, but I know I need a kick in the butt with a few things.

Unfortunately, I broke down twice and made some really bad choices over the past week and a half...  (yes, I know this is my own self-sabotage issue).  Good thing:  I guess I dump off of sugar!  Bad thing:  I have no problem with a piece of bread soaked in gravy. :(  

I am also having a difficult time getting in all of my water/crystal light.  I have to keep my bottle in my hand and sip sip away connnnnstantly, otherwise I can go hours without drinking.  Of course, I knew this was going to be a struggle in the beginning, but I'm trying to work on it as much as possible.  At this point, I'm averaging only about 50oz a day.

Oh - I also have completely slacked in the workout department and by 'completely slacked' I mean, I haven't walked or been to the gym in about a week and a half.  this is 1/2 of the time since surgery and the first 1/2 a week doesn't count!  I am going this morning with a friend, but I know that if I don't start incorporating this into my daily routine, I'm going to have issues.  Not only will I lose slower, but I'll be weaker and still out of shape.  UGH! 

I realize that this being home alone thing isn't for me.  I get sucked into whatever distraction is in front of me and I laze around feeling sorry for myself and/or focusing on negativity.  I'm very irritable and I cant seem to find the motivation to clean, work out, get dressed.  I suspect it is a little depression settling in and as I am very familiar with this pattern I know that I need to make plans to get out and be more active.  Hopefully, my doc will clear me to go back to work soon so I'll have something else to focus on and keep me busy. 

Well - whine, whine, whine.  Sorry for the rant, but I'm obviously having a pity party for myself.  I know it will get better.  I know I need to start working my tool more than I am.  I know I need to not compare myself with other peoples weight loss.  I know I need to get my water in and get my booty in gear.  I know, I know - I just need someone to kick me in the butt and drag me out of my house and tell me that I'm 'normal' or what I can 'fix'... ;)

Thanks for listening!
Age: 32yrs; Height: 5'5;  HW 254lbs; SW(8/14/12) 244lbs; CW 212bls

MickeyDee
on 9/4/12 5:08 am
Would you like some nice protein with that whine??? 

Have a nice hunk of Swiss cheese, drink your water and get your walking shoes on and hoof it around the block a time or six and don't let it get to you.  14# in 3 weeks is pretty good.  In another week it would be 17#, and in a year it's going to be at least 100#. 

Not too shabby, huh?

Dump the scale, Kid, and hang in there.
65rosesmom
on 9/4/12 5:09 am
I know its easy to get discouraged, but you have to look at the big picture here. If you continue to lose just 2 pounds a week, you should be in onderland by New Year's!! If you have any better weeks, you'll get there sooner. This journey isn't going to work well for your mental health if you focus on what isn't happening, instead you have to focus on what is.

FWIW I'm not quite 4 weeks out and I've lost 14 lbs, so your loss seems normal to me. I'm perfectly fine with it, as down is better than up and I've never in my life lost this quickly, so this is great for me!!!

Hang in there, you are on your way, just have faith and stay the course.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

poet_kelly
on 9/4/12 5:14 am - OH
On September 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM Pacific Time, *****blubber wrote:
I know that I really need to get out of my head, but I keep getting sucked back in.  I'm feeling discouraged and defeated and although I keep telling myself that everyone is different, I feel as though my biggest fears are coming true.

Today marks 3 weeks since surgery and I'm clocking in at a whopping 14lb loss.  Woo-fippin-who!  :(  I feel like this is super slow (wk1- 9lbs; wk2- 2lbs; wk3- 3lbs).  Yes, I know its not going to just fall off of me with me just sitting on the couch, but with only taking in 600-700 calories a day, I figured I'd drop a bit more.... I know I need to throw out my scale, but I'm frustrated that even my clothes are fitting the same as they did pre-rny. blah. 

I've progressed nicely so far.  No real pain or discomfort.  I'm still on pureed food until next Monday (then soft food for 2 weeks).  I'm getting 80-100+ in protein a day (approx 65% of Daily) - with no issues with food.  Yes, I'm eating a bunch less than I used to and I'm measuring my food.  I can eat anywhere from 2-3.5 oz of food depending on what it is, but I usually measure out between 2.5-3oz.  I'm doing better than I thought with the 'no drinking with food and no drinking before/after).  Most days are good, but I know I need a kick in the butt with a few things.

Unfortunately, I broke down twice and made some really bad choices over the past week and a half...  (yes, I know this is my own self-sabotage issue).  Good thing:  I guess I dump off of sugar!  Bad thing:  I have no problem with a piece of bread soaked in gravy. :(  

I am also having a difficult time getting in all of my water/crystal light.  I have to keep my bottle in my hand and sip sip away connnnnstantly, otherwise I can go hours without drinking.  Of course, I knew this was going to be a struggle in the beginning, but I'm trying to work on it as much as possible.  At this point, I'm averaging only about 50oz a day.

Oh - I also have completely slacked in the workout department and by 'completely slacked' I mean, I haven't walked or been to the gym in about a week and a half.  this is 1/2 of the time since surgery and the first 1/2 a week doesn't count!  I am going this morning with a friend, but I know that if I don't start incorporating this into my daily routine, I'm going to have issues.  Not only will I lose slower, but I'll be weaker and still out of shape.  UGH! 

I realize that this being home alone thing isn't for me.  I get sucked into whatever distraction is in front of me and I laze around feeling sorry for myself and/or focusing on negativity.  I'm very irritable and I cant seem to find the motivation to clean, work out, get dressed.  I suspect it is a little depression settling in and as I am very familiar with this pattern I know that I need to make plans to get out and be more active.  Hopefully, my doc will clear me to go back to work soon so I'll have something else to focus on and keep me busy. 

Well - whine, whine, whine.  Sorry for the rant, but I'm obviously having a pity party for myself.  I know it will get better.  I know I need to start working my tool more than I am.  I know I need to not compare myself with other peoples weight loss.  I know I need to get my water in and get my booty in gear.  I know, I know - I just need someone to kick me in the butt and drag me out of my house and tell me that I'm 'normal' or what I can 'fix'... ;)

Thanks for listening!
Get out and go for a walk today.  Even if it's just a short walk.  You'll feel better physically and mentally, I promise.

Your weight loss is fine.  My surgeon said three to five pounds per week is normal and you've lost over four pounds per week, so you're fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bitchblubber
on 9/4/12 5:22 am - MD
RNY on 08/14/12
Thanks guys.  I really needed to just get this stuff off my chest (and out of my head).  I appreciate the support and that is exactly what I'm lacking right now.  I'm on my way out the door to the gym with a girlfriend this morning and I know that will jumpstart my day in a positive way. 

I think one of the biggest hurdles with this whole process is just keeping occupied.  I know that I do not function well with a lot of time on my hands and right now, all I have is time.  lol 

Thanks again for letting me know I'm as 'normal' as anyone else and that I need to refocus on the bigger picture... (onederland by new years?!  YES!) 

:)

BTW - anyone north-west of baltimore looking for a workout partner?  lol
Age: 32yrs; Height: 5'5;  HW 254lbs; SW(8/14/12) 244lbs; CW 212bls

Skinnygirlme
on 9/4/12 7:56 am - UT
RNY on 09/05/12
 Keep going! You're doing this!!!!
  I believe in me...the best is yet to be!                        
Carmen C.
on 9/4/12 8:28 am
RNY on 08/08/12
I feel exactly like you do-- I am 4 weeks tommorrow and I have lost 14 pounds.. I have had some complications with weakness.  but i try as much as possible to stay active so I don't get depressed.. I am starting to go back to work on monday... because staying busy is the best thing for me.. Yes 14 pounds is not as much as others.... but I keep telling myself 2 years I have been waiting for this.. I need to move forward.. one step at a time.. don't focus on how much I haven't lost but focus on how much I have and to take this new tool one step at a time.. it's ok to feel like this.. I had even started to over eat.. but then realized I am NOT going back.. not going around the same mountain.. I refuse to do this again.. this is my chance my shot.- YOU CAN do this.. IT"S OK to get sad and discouraged as long as you don't stay there..

Had RNY on 8/8/2012- revision from Gastric sleeve in 12/2008-  
LOST 5.8 POUNDS POST-OPT

jamiebrain
on 9/4/12 8:59 am - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 I think you're probably doing just fine.  I had lost 10 pounds pre-surgery (it was the same day as yours) and as of today I'm down another 18, no new loss since Friday or Saturday.  Seems to me we're hitting that 3 week slowdown/stall.  I'm trying not to worry about it.  

I haven't been "working out" - not in the least.  I walk my dogs a couple of times a day, but they're short walks and they wear me out.

I'm just doing my best, and I know it will come off.  Hang in there!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

shedo
on 9/4/12 9:18 am
Hi!!!  I am with you.  My 3 weeks was yesterday.  I am the same with the weightloss.  As you have already pointed out, it is a little slow, but think like you are ww or something.  You, would have clapped your hands for losing the weight you did.  You are at almost 5 pounds a week. 

I know I have the feeling too.  I said Goodbye to my old self when I went into surgery and holy **** she is still here!!!   We have to remember that we just had a major surgery.  We are healing in all ways.  THROW OUT THE SCALE TODAY!!!!  It will drive you crazy as you already know too.  

My pants are still tight in my belly, hurts more now, because thats where the incisions were, but they are slowly going away.  We are all in this.  We all feel the same.  You are not alone.  If you want to support one another on the walking thing, just message me.  I need a kick in the but there too.  I complain too much that it is too hot!!!!!  

Take care.  Hugs to you. 
Sherri

jamiebrain
on 9/4/12 9:22 am - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 Seems like all of us 3-weekers have lost roughly the same.  So it seems to me like it's definitely leaning toward "normal"!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 234 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 65 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 65 views