Geeeze What's Up With Me Anyway !!!

mpjones
on 9/7/12 4:52 pm
I've known for a while that I will have surgery in October--no problem--I've spent the time getting use to not drinking while eating, smaller bites,chew chew chew, etc. Today I got THE call--surgery will be October 9Th. While I was on the phone with the scheduler I got the shakes--I mean bad shakes. I hung up the phone went to the kitchen and poured myself a HUGH tumbler of wine--ok, it was chocolate wine but it was wine and it was only 10am!! My behavior got steadily worse all day, I've had probably a dozen cookies, ice cream, I drank almost a 2 liter bottle of coke (I haven't had any soda for about 2 months) at dinner, I also made creamed green beans for dinner (my reasoning being it's been drizzly and damp all day and it would be comforting !!) and then ate almost the whole bowl myself. Forget about chew chew chew--I've practically swallowed things whole all day. I've been preparing for this surgery for a long time--why am I falling apart now?? Anybody have any insights or suggestions? I am nervous and jittery,keep going to the fridge to see what's there--seeing the same things every time I open the door so what the heck am I looking for ?? HELP !!
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 9/7/12 5:09 pm
You're human. You're going to go through the biggest change in your life and you think you'll never be able to eat or drink anything "not on your diet" again. We always want what we can't
(or think we can't) have. It will get better. It's realization that your life is going to change forever and it's scary. I had my RNY almost 11 yrs ago (yikes!) and I felt the same. It's normal to be scared and to reach for what comforted us in the past - food, wine, etc. Good for you trying to eat like a post op now, it helps. October will come soon enough and you'll have so much swimming in your head you won't believe you'll ever keep track of it all. It works, it's amazing and I'd do it again in a heartbeat in order to feel this good. Relad, have a hot fudge sunday and realize you are going to change your life for the better, be healthier, happier and you'll be able to eat most of the things you eat now - just in moderation. Follow your doctors' orders and good luck. It's an AMAZING journey but I wouldn't have missed it for the world!
Jen 11 yrs post op yesterday!!
Dave Chambers
on 9/7/12 5:13 pm - Mira Loma, CA

OK, you can settle down now. You just had multiple LAST SUPPERS. You need to practice your post op lifestyle as mch as possible NOW.  Maybe you had an anxiety attack?  Anxiety and depression are quite common for post ops. If you lean towards these anxiety issues, I'd discuss them with your doc. You might need Ativan or other anxiety meds.  Taking them now will assure they're at good levels in your body.  Find something to put your mind on, not food.  Hobbies, crafts?  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Darcy S.
on 9/7/12 5:47 pm - Clinton, CT
Lol I went out and had chicken wings, bacon cheese burger and onion rings! Opposite let's not forget the French martini too all for lunch the day before surgery! I laugh at that now!!! How normal I think that is!

You will be ok but don't get too crazy because if your drs like mine you can't gain weight before surgery. Actually had to lose ten pounds. I lost 16 but be careful. Plan your final cheats if u can so u don't get crazy everyday like its your last meal! You have a month to go.

I don't even miss sweets anymore. Congrats on your choosing a healthy future!!!

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

jamiebrain
on 9/7/12 5:47 pm - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 Does sound a lot like anxiety to me.  I had a few last suppers myself, although not all the same day.  *Smile*.  Take a deep breath and just start again.  

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

MissK123456789
on 9/7/12 6:20 pm - PA
I agree with the majority. This sounds like anxiety. They make marvelous drugs for that now. I didn't have the nerves about the surgery that most have. I had elective major surgery a decade ago...so I already lived it. BUT, I needed those anxiety meds a decade ago. Remember, you're human.

You can do this. You will do this. And, you'll come out happier on the other side. Keep the faith!
poet_kelly
on 9/7/12 6:49 pm - OH
On September 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM Pacific Time, mpjones wrote:
I've known for a while that I will have surgery in October--no problem--I've spent the time getting use to not drinking while eating, smaller bites,chew chew chew, etc. Today I got THE call--surgery will be October 9Th. While I was on the phone with the scheduler I got the shakes--I mean bad shakes. I hung up the phone went to the kitchen and poured myself a HUGH tumbler of wine--ok, it was chocolate wine but it was wine and it was only 10am!! My behavior got steadily worse all day, I've had probably a dozen cookies, ice cream, I drank almost a 2 liter bottle of coke (I haven't had any soda for about 2 months) at dinner, I also made creamed green beans for dinner (my reasoning being it's been drizzly and damp all day and it would be comforting !!) and then ate almost the whole bowl myself. Forget about chew chew chew--I've practically swallowed things whole all day. I've been preparing for this surgery for a long time--why am I falling apart now?? Anybody have any insights or suggestions? I am nervous and jittery,keep going to the fridge to see what's there--seeing the same things every time I open the door so what the heck am I looking for ?? HELP !!
Chocolate wine?  I didn't even know there was such a thing.  Sounds yummy!

It sounds like you just got emotional about the reality of getting a surgery date.  So what are the emotions?  Nervousness, and what else?  Fear?  Excitement?  See if you can identify the emotions, then give yourself permission to feel them.  Try journaling about the feelings.  If you need to do something to soothe the anxiety, try things other than eating.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mpjones
on 9/7/12 6:58 pm
Thanks everyone--I guess the whole idea of the surgery didn't really feel "real" until now. I'm trying to calm down and am keeping away from the fridge. If I don't settle down by Monday I will call my PCP and see if I can get something to help smooth out the rough edges. And Kelly, chocolate wine is DELICIOUS !!!!! 
enchantedmommy
on 9/7/12 8:06 pm - boydton , VA
 lol i did have a big ol homeaide cinninmon bun after i heard my date...told my hubby i was gonna have a bucket list of food...lol good luck to you 

cynthia_chicago
on 9/7/12 9:06 pm - IL
Hi :)

I have surgery Oct.9th also.  I have been prepairing and studying for this for months also.  As soon as the call came in to set the date i have not been the same since.  I too have fallen appart and questioning if this is the right thing to do.  I have been eating bad but nothing tastes good!  i too have been a mess since the date set.  I think what we are going through is normal.  i am 330 pounds and my husband doesnt want me to have surgery.  he likes me fat.  so i have my own issues to deal with and then there is my spouse who wants to keep me big.... and my fear is i will get healthy and i wont be attractive to him anymore because he likes chubbies and there i will be thin with all that skin hanging.  ugg.  
my mind is messing with me too.     Cindy
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 379 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 493 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 475 views