Sleep Aid

Michelle G.
on 9/25/12 3:09 am - OH
RNY on 10/17/12

I am scheduled for surgery in a few weeks but something occurred to me last night. I take a sleep aid probably once a week. I take MidNights. It’s an OTC brand.  Just wondering if I will be able to do this after surgery? Are there restrictions on them like there is on other meds? I plan to ask doc when I go for my final appt before surgery in two weeks but was just wondering now. Don’t want to buy a new box and then just have to throw them away.

Michelle

HW : 350       GW: 150          CW: 190

Carol S.
on 9/25/12 3:46 am - Milwaukee, WI

I would talk to your surgeon about it just to be sure, no one here can give medical advice.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/12 3:51 am
We had to provide a list of all medications, prescriptions and OTC products we were taking including vitamins.  Tell your surgeon what you are taking so he can advise you.   Jane
Dave Chambers
on 9/25/12 5:09 am - Mira Loma, CA

Surgeon's want to know about ALL medications you take, script or OTC.  Blood thinning scripts are definitely discontinued a week prior to surgery, and possible anything else that would interefere with a safe surgery. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Sarah C.
on 9/25/12 5:48 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
Definitely check with your doctor and the sooner the better because they may want you to stop taking them sooner than later.  My doc had me stop all OTC meds (even bariatric specific vitamins, calcium, etc.) for a week prior to surgery. 

There are restrictions on the meds that can be taken post-surgery, so i'd ask so you can have an alternate plan.  You may find, however, that you don't need a sleep aid after your surgery.  Wouldn't that be nice?   

Also, don't throw your OTC meds away.  I had advil, for example, and i just put it in the first aid kit at the office for others to take.  No need for it to go to waste.  You may someone else who takes MidNights that may be able to benefit from them if you aren't able to take them after surgery. 

Strjen
on 9/25/12 7:58 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
I was having issues with sleeping post op & asked my Dr about it & he said if it works for me then it was ok to take. I've been taking Equate sleep aid & tylenol Pm's since surgery. I still would consult with your surgeon.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views