I'm going to miss my coffee!

Michelle G.
on 9/30/12 10:57 pm - OH
RNY on 10/17/12
Yikes! Liquid diet starts on Wednesday. What will I do without my daily pot of coffee for a whole year? No margaritas! No coffee! Have I thought this through all the way? Oh wait yes I have. Can't wait! I know there are a lot of sacrifices in my future but I also know that every single one of them are worth it to grow old with my wonderful husband and to see my children grow up, move on and give me grandbabies!!!!!
What were the big sacrifices that you made or are getting ready to make for this journey?

Michelle

HW : 350       GW: 150          CW: 190

Friendlybyte
on 9/30/12 11:01 pm - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12
Never having sugary desserts again.... But so worth being almost 5 weeks out and not having to take any of my 3 diabetes meds in over 3 weeks!!!  Well worth it!!

wmamey
on 9/30/12 11:12 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
Are you not allowed decaf? I was even allowed decaf in the hospital. I do miss a margarita once in awhile but I like feeling better so much more that the margarita. So now I make a frozen Protein Pina Colada with Syntrax Nectar Carribean Cooler - tastes good and better for me than a margarita.There is also decaf mocha Click protein that can give you a coffee fix, and syntrax makes a cappuccino flavored one so you don't have to give up on coffee completely. I do drink caffeine now but in the begining I didn't because it can be dehydrating.
My biggest sacrifice was sugary desserts - but there is enough sugar free stuff that tastes just as good. And yesterday I did have a bite of my anniversary cake - just 1 bite though.

Michelle G.
on 9/30/12 11:33 pm - OH
RNY on 10/17/12

My surgeon does not allow any caffeine at all for the first year. Even decaf coffee and tea has some caffeine so it’s off limits for a year. I understand how important hydration is but it is going to be tough. I have been researching any of the proteins that are either mocha or latte flavored but so far all I have found are decaf ones and that is not allowed.

Michelle

HW : 350       GW: 150          CW: 190

wmamey
on 10/1/12 3:39 am, edited 10/1/12 3:39 am
RNY on 06/18/12
Try the Syntrax Nectar cappuccino flavor - NO caffeine at all!

I am a little surprised that you can't have any tea either. One of the suggested solutions to constipation for me was Smooth Move tea which of course has caffeine.

Elizabeth G.
on 10/1/12 12:50 am - RI
RNY on 10/18/12
My pre-op liquid diet starts on Thursday. Yes, I'm going to miss my current relationship with carbs but I have a sneaking suspiciion that once I've detoxed from it and cleared that **** out of my house, I'll be alright. I'll be even better once I realize that I NEVER NEEDED IT and feel great in my healthier new bod!
Terry60
on 10/1/12 1:12 am - MA
Hi Elizabeth..I see that we go to the same practice. When is your surgery? I was suppose to get it on August 28th but it was postponed because I had shoulder surgery. I see the doctor on Wednesday and hopefully I will have surgery in the next week or two.
Elizabeth G.
on 10/1/12 1:18 am - RI
RNY on 10/18/12
Hi Terry,

My surgery is 10/18. Sorry to hear you were sidetracked by shoulder surgery. Hopefully you'll be as good as new and ready to proceed with your RNY in a couple of weeks. The lead-up is is killing me!

:)

Liz
SoCaPinkLady
on 10/1/12 1:58 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
Once I had surgery I could no longer stand the smell or the taste of coffee. And to think I was so worried about this before surgery. Good luck to you on your Journey.

Lori                               

Hillery82211
on 10/1/12 2:34 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I've enjoyed coffee (i make protein coffee daily) since I was 6 weeks post opt.  I know a lot of surgeons plans say no caffeine, but that is mostly based on antiquated data and studies that over estimate the diuretic effect of caffeine on the body.  Granted it DOES have a mild diuretic effect, its really not enough to affect hydration once you are able in consume enough liquids.  As a matter of fact, I gave my doc and nutritionist some articles on caffine and they have revised thier stance on drinking it post opt (at first they were against it until 6 months, now they encourage only a six week wait provided you are able to consume the minimum 64oz of water/liquids daily).

As far as sacrifices...I don't feel like I've had to make any with my journey.  Have I made adjustments...yes.  Have I learned a lot, yes.  But they were not any sacrifices involved for me.
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 309 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??