Celebrate or bariatric advantage?

MBallard
on 10/5/12 6:05 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13
 Which calcium chew do you prefer? Bariatric advantage or celebrate? And what flavor do you like best? Also, is the D3 that's included enough or should I take an extra supplement?

Surgery date - February 7, 2013

kathyshrinks
on 10/5/12 6:17 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
I take Calcet petites, because the chews have calories in them, and I would rather spend my calories on other things.  You have to swallow them, but they are relatively small (relative for a clacium tablet - petite they ain't).  I did, however, try both Batriatric Advantage and Celebrate, and like the Bariatric Adv much better - especially the caramel, but the raspberry is good, too.

A calorie-free option that doesn't involve swallowing a pill is Upcal D.  This is a tasteless powder that you can add to liquids or soft foods.  I didn't like the way it always sank to the bottom of my drink, so I got tired of the hassle and started on the Calcet petites (warning: some Calcet products have calcium citrate which we can't absorb well, so you'll want to check the label).

Hope this helps!

MBallard
on 10/5/12 8:34 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13
 I ended up going with calcet petites

lilbillsmom
on 10/5/12 6:30 am - TX
RNY on 07/30/12
I prefer the Bariatric Advantage carmel...But I take calcium Capsules from Vitalady as my regular daily calcium...and my D3 is also from Vita lady...small capsule...I treat myself to a calcium chew once in a while as a treat...I have been able to swallow pills since day one...

Learning to eat to live, NOT living to eat....    
MBallard
on 10/5/12 6:32 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13
 thanks guys for the advice. I am in search of a calcium supplement that is small, I will take a look at the ones you suggested. I don't necessarily need a chew.

Cmtus
on 10/5/12 7:02 am - KY
RNY on 06/25/12
 I think that we can absorb calcium citrate. It is calcium carbonate that we can't absorb. 

Pre-surgery weight (at beginning of 6 month diet) 271, Pre- Surgery weight 259, Current weight 247. 

kittehkitteh27
on 10/5/12 7:46 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
 Yes, citrate = good, carbonate=useless.

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

poet_kelly
on 10/5/12 9:11 am - OH
You almost certainly need more D3 but the amount should be based on your labs.  Most post ops need an additional 10,000 IU D3 or more per day in order to maintain a level of at least 80, which is what we need.  I have to take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/5/12 12:20 pm - OH
I prefer the BA chews (my favorite is the raspberry).  The berry Celebrate chews (the only ones I tried) are a bit grainy.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/12 2:22 pm
RNY on 08/31/12
 I like Bariatric Advantage because it doesn't have sorbital (I'm very sensitive to it) and is not as sweet as others. I also like the feeling in my mouth that I'm eating something like a malt ball. It crumbles and dissolves well. I like the chocolate calcium because is seems like a wafer and is mild and yet I also like the cinnamon calcium as it is like a large breath mint. I'm having to take prescription D for now.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 313 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 229 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 50 views
Recent Topics