Unjury unflavored

Alicia F.
on 10/11/12 12:00 am, edited 10/11/12 12:15 am
RNY on 04/16/12
Is it truly unflavored?

does it have any type of taste or smell? 

I want to try it, but I dont wanna be grossed out....

devalissh
on 10/11/12 12:36 am - TX
I have been told they still have a protein taste.
UNJURY
on 10/11/12 12:58 am - Sterling, VA
Hi GodGaveMe3

This is a good question.  We don't add any flavorings or sweeteners to our unflavored (some do).

We say that if you put our unflavored in water, you will taste it.   I describe it as a little bit nutty, a little like diluted milk.  I don't think it is as good a plain water, but we taste it regularly for quality assurance and it's not what i would call gross.

What is interesting is that the taste pretty much disappears (or is hidden) in some beverages.  Two of the best are:   a)  anything with an orange taste (Crystal light orange etc) or a stronger fruit flavored crystal light (or similar) such as Fruit Punch flavor or Raspberry Ice.

We also have a recipe for making it in Jello-O and in Jell-O, i believe you truly cannot taste it.
This is not the pre-made where you buy it in cold cups at the store, but where you start with the box at home.

It is a popular flavor, but one where you need to experiment with it to see what works for you.  As always, you can get a refund or exchange anything you buy from us, including opened containers.  Call the office if you need more ideas.

Jerome
UNJURY(R) Protein

M M
on 10/11/12 1:05 am

14 SEPTEMBER 2010

http://www.meltingmama.net/wls/2010/09/unflavored-unjury.html

DSC_5358There are a few products that are staples in the bariatric world that I have never ventured out and tried.UNJURY Unflavored Whey Protein Powder is one of them.  (I did try their Chicken Soup flavor, because it was something different and salty, and I am a sodium lover, hello Ramen Noodle Broth.) 

UNJURY was around back when I was a bariatric baby, in fact, there weren't many options back then for protein, I bought what I could find at GNC and that was that.

Today, I tried Unflavored UNJURY Protein.  It's an affordable source of whey protein isolate.  It is, $16.95 for 17 servings.

Unflavored protein for a bariatric post op is like the HOLY GRAIL. 

All of us obsess about it, "OMG WHAT IF I AM NOT GETTING ENOUGH PROTEIN?  CAN I PUT PROTEIN IN MY FOOD?  WILL I TASTE IT? OMG!"  We all do it.  But, finding a protein that does not smell or taste likeprotein, might be harder than getting the protein minimums down to begin with.

I should note first, some details from UNJURY:

DSC_5361

Ingredients: Whey protein isolate and soy lecithin 

Contains: Milk and soy.  ***Note: Soy ingredient is Soy Lecithin, not Soy Protein.

For all UNJURY flavors, do not use in liquids hotter than 130º F. Proteins, when heated, change texture. For example, you have seen an egg white go from a clear gel, to firm white, when cooked. For UNJURY, in a hot liquid, the proteins tend to clump. A food thermometer is a good way to get the temperature nicely warm…just right. 

*Note: We don’t recommend mixing Unflavored UNJURY in plain water.

DSC_5365
I ripped open a single serving packet and sniffed.  It smells like protein.  A very strong whey protein smell, and almost slightly sour vanilla.  (I got the same reaction to the Chicken Soup variety -- which I immediately wondered "Why does this smell like vanilla?")

For review purposes, I like to mix the product as-is.  I added the packet of protein to a glass, and added cold water.  I broke the rule. To be honest, the PACKET does not say, do not mix with jus****er.  But, I have to taste the product - NOT what I am adding to TO. 

DSC_5368

The UNJURY protein powder may be one of the fluffiest appearing powders I've seen.  It's awfully purdy.  I mixed it with a whisk, and it took quite a long time to dissolve into the cold water.  It looked a bit horrid at a point:

DSC_5369

And, I thought I would abort mission and throw it away.

A bit more mixing, and the powder finally dissolved.  The resulting drink was a mostly smooth, sort of clear-ish, whey-looking yellowy liquid.  (Nursing moms?  Yeah, like that.)

DSC_5376

One sip, Beth.  One sip for a honest reaction, and then I would add it to a "preferred beverage" to give it a fair chance.

And -- one sip.  It tastes like UNFLAVORED WHEY PROTEIN.  Big shocker!  It smells like whey protein, and it tastes like whey protein.  The texture is okay, it's super-thin and there are very few chunks (curds?) floating about.  But, it tastes, because it has to.  It's the nature of the product.

Alone, it's not good.  Not at all.  They warned me.  I did not listen.

I *******ized UNJURY -  my apologies - but can coffee fix everything?

DSC_5379 
After adding stuff TO the mixed Unflavored UNJURY, it's mouth-tolerable.  The taste isn't bad, the coffee covers of the flavor of UN.  As with other whey products it leaves a sticky mouth feel.  I am not a fan of this, and I immediately want to drink or eat more after I take in a sticky-whey product.

However, the odor is horrific.  I cannot get past the cup, even with coffee added.  Perhaps heated it would be better?  I don't know, but I am not loving this at all.

That said, it is a good quality product.

Nutrifact_uf 
As a supplemental source of protein, it's great.  20 grams of high quality whey protein isolate with a PDCAAS score of 100?  Damn near perfect.

Form your own opinions - as always - try it for yourself. 

icnside
on 10/11/12 1:52 am - Chesapeake, VA
I find the best way to consume the unflavored is to mix it in some kind of soup. anything with a broth, I like it in miso soup and some tuna sashimi to follow - YUM!. a full scoop seems to be a bit much sometimes, so I start with 1/2 scoop. It is also quite tasy with just plain old chicken boullion. 8oz water, 1 scoop unflavored and 1 tsp. boullion granules. Nice to have when your pouch needs something warm.

Alicia F.
on 10/11/12 2:09 am
RNY on 04/16/12
Thank you!  We have the same Doctor!

Support group is tonight (i think)

Alicia F.
on 10/11/12 2:08 am
RNY on 04/16/12
Thanks guys!  I'll get a couple of samples first and try them out.

SassySteph
on 10/11/12 2:46 am - Lusby, MD
The Unjury unflavored and the chocolate are the only protein drinks I have ever been able to get down and I am close to 6 yrs out.  I take and mix mine with unsweetened Almond breeze or skim milk, 1 tsp of instant decaf coffee, 1 packet of slenda, ice and mix in the blender until smooth and thick, its actually pretty good.

Stephanie

Dolores L.
on 10/11/12 3:01 am - FL
Revision on 08/14/12
I'm wondering if local stores carry this or do you have to order online?

Alicia F.
on 10/11/12 3:04 am
RNY on 04/16/12
I've only seen it online.....

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 385 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?