Please help...I need support

megs617
on 10/17/12 10:55 am
Hello, Everyone.

I am looking for help, support, suggestions...Anything that will help settle my mind.

Back in March, my husband and I set out a journey to have bariatric surgery.  We have both struggled with weight our entire lives...Ups and downs...You know how it goes...

Well, with all the necessary requirements done and approval from the insurance company, we were both set.  My husband from the start decided on Roux-en-Y bypass, where I decided the sleeve was my best option.  Fastforward a bit...My husband had the surgery, everything went perfectly fine and a week later, his old stomach (the bypassed stomach) began to dilate and he ended up back in the hospital off and on for a month. He had his surgery in August, and is just now starting to feel somewhat ok. To say we went to hell and back is an understatement....  We then found out that I have Barretts esophogus.  Ever heard of it?  I have GERD and the acid is basically eating away at my esophogus and the cells have begun to change.  This could lead to cancer down the line.  Hello, I'm horrified!!!  Anyway, two endoscopy's and two gastroentorologists (sp?) later, and it has been made clear that the sleeve is out.  It would only end up making the barretts worse.  My only option...Gastric bypass.  Because of what I experienced with my husband, I am BEYOND, and I mean beyond terrified that the same thing will happen to me. I know it is extremely rare, but it could still happen, and with two very young children at home, (4 and 2) They can't be without me for the length of time that my husband was out of commision.  As you other mom's know, the household doesn't function without us! lol!  Anyway, I'm looking for encouragement.  I'm so scared and looking for anyone to help me.

Thank you so much--Any feedback is truly appreciated.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 10/17/12 11:06 am
RNY resolves GERD in a lot of cases.  It is probably your best option.  I understand your concern after your husband went through.  Talk to the surgeon.  Did he say why this happened.  I have not heard of it before.  Maybe it was something unique to your husband.  Or if the surgeon has a high complication rate you should think of switching if you are not comfortable with him/her.
Good luck.

Winnie

megs617
on 10/17/12 11:16 am
Thank you so much for replying.  I was pretty general with my explanation, but yes, the surgeon was very thorough in explaining why he had the complication he did.  I have a tremendous amount of faith in the surgeon.  He is very kind and has wonderful bedside manner.  Also has a fantastic "health grade" and reviews from other patients.  I know the complications my husband suffered had nothing to do with the surgery itself, just the way his body reacted to the surgery. 
Zeigled
on 10/17/12 11:15 am - Parkton, MD

Well I can't give you any guarentees...as you say complications are not common.  This surgery is not a cake walk.  I think you may want to think about the reasons you decided on getting the surgery in the first place.  For me, resolving the health issues I had pre surgery and living a healthy life was my reason.  I needed the surgery for my health.  How about you?  If you don't have the surgery, then what?  Will you better off?  Take a bit of time to think about this and what your back up plans are if you do have a complication.  Good Luck - so glad your husband is finally getting back on his feet.

HW 357 SW 341   

megs617
on 10/17/12 11:17 am
Thank you.  The barretts would completely be eliminated if I have gastric bypass...I know what I need to do, just so scared.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/17/12 11:22 am - OH
As you have already said, what happened to your husband is very rare. The vast majority of people who have RNY have absolutely no surgical complications, and many of us have no problems at all eating or drinking during the initial weks after surgery (which can be problematic for some).

Please don't psych yourself out over such a rare occurrence. Even if something were to happen and you would be out of commission even for a month, your household would still cope better for that period of time than if you don't get the excess weight off and were to develop a serious medical condition that limited your ability to fully participate in your children's lives (e.g., heart problems) or were to die early from something obesity-related.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

megs617
on 10/17/12 12:49 pm
Thank you.  It's nice to read reactions from others--I'm sure that if my husband had no complications, I wouldn't have a worry in the world.
Bellaluna468
on 10/17/12 11:31 am, edited 10/17/12 11:33 am
RNY on 10/26/12
  I too wanted to pursue the sleeve, and was also diagnosed with Barrett's.  RNY was not what I wanted at all, however, I am now scheduled for RNY next Friday.  

I need the surgery, and RNY will help with the reflux problem and will resolve the GERD.  I had to accept the fact the sleeve is not possible and go back to my realization that I need this to be healthy.  I pulled up my big girl panties and here I am...getting RNY done so I can live a long and healthy life.

I hope you are able to come to an acceptance also.

It will be ok for us...

i have twins, they are 8.  I am planning on being down a week, but there is no guarantee.  We hope for the best, we can't fight the unknown.

megs617
on 10/17/12 12:44 pm
Please let me know how everything goes.  I will be thinking of you!  I have never spoken with anyone who has barretts before...I guess I'm not the only one!  Thanks for your encouraging words :)  Best of luck to you!
Jewelsstevens
on 10/17/12 11:50 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
I honestly do not know what kind of words of encouragement to give you. All  can say is that I am a day over 4 weeks out and my ONLY complication is that I no longer like food. That is one I can live with.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

HUGS!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 286 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?