Thought anxiety was asthma, which equaled weight gain...pissed.

brwneyz
on 10/21/12 10:03 am
So, I must say that I have been avoiding this site like the plague for the last few months, and it's because I knew I was gaining weight.  After being stationed in Arizona (extreme DRY heat for 6 years) and then Utah (opposite of Arizona for 3 years), and now Alabama (hot/humid, and well...GREEN and everything I am allergic to is in my backyard) I have not been a happy camper.  My allergies have been on overdrive, migraines literally every other day, on 7 different allergy meds (some are not absorbing as well as they should...according to the docs anyway).  I also have allergy induced asthma, and a friend died of last year (he started having a gradual attack in his sleep, didn't realize it because you need less oxygen in your sleep, when he woke up he reached for his inhaler, it didn't work, they went to the ER and it was too late...they couldn't get it under control).  Normally, I don't even need mine, then I started living with it in my pocket...thought I was having attacks almost daily.  Went to the doc after a month of this, and it turns out I'm just crazy .  My lungs sounded clear, but anxiety attacks feel exactly like asthma attacks...so I got caught it this viscous cycle.  I knew I was NERVOUS about my friend dying and my asthma (mainly because my husband deploys and I THOUGHT my asthma was getting worse...so I was worried I was not going to wake up one morning and what was going to happen to my kids?!?), but I never thought it was causing anxiety attacks.  

So, I know this was long tedious story, but with the stress/anxiety/thought I was having asthma attacks I ended up gaining a few pounds because I wasn't working out...thought I couldn't breathe, didn't want to die at the gym!  And now I'm pissed at myself for not realizing the difference between the two, and trying to "ignore" the changes I was seeing in my body. 
I ended up gaining 9 lbs in 2 months, and have already taken off 3 in the last week just by going back to the rules...but still pretty pissed.  
Wife to Lawrence since July 4, 2003.
Nathan June 16, 2005   Haylee October 7, 2009  
Getting help so I can live long with him and raise them to be the best they can be!                

MrsLitch
on 10/21/12 10:42 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Look on the bright side you caught it before you gained even more back and you have it going back down now. You are aware of the fact that it may not be an asthma attack but I'm sure you still have the worry that it might be. If the doctor didn't advise this I will, go to walmart and buy a pulse oximeter. When you are unsure of which it is place it on your finger and test your oxygen levels. If they are fine you know it's anxiety if they are low you know it is probably the asthma.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

brwneyz
on 10/21/12 11:11 am
Good idea, they didn't mention that but I will look into it. 
Wife to Lawrence since July 4, 2003.
Nathan June 16, 2005   Haylee October 7, 2009  
Getting help so I can live long with him and raise them to be the best they can be!                

Amanda M.
on 10/21/12 4:01 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
Don't feel stupid! I've gone to the ER before because I thought I was having a heart attack...turned out to be anxiety. anxiety attacks can feel like so many other things.

the blood oxygen tester is a great idea. however, ask your doctor about it before you buy one. sometimes anxiety attacks can cause you to take shorter breaths and tightening in your chest, which can in turn read lower blood oxygen levels.

Good luck!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 2 views