Surgery done Monday Oct 15. Wish I could fast forward a few months!

shellykayd
on 10/19/12 2:42 pm - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
 I was exepcted to be out of the hospital Wednesday, but was having trouble breathing and getting around still, so they kept me one more day.  I do feel better being back at my parents house, but still pretty hard.  Had a scare with my JP drain this morning.  Woke up with blood/fluid all over my nightgown and the bed.  Thankfully didn't panic, went to checked to be sure I had pulled the drain out then called the doctor.  He had me come into the office later just to double check.  Thankfully nothihg to worry about.  Might have been caught on something while I slept or had not breen stripped as well as I had throught the night before and the fluid leaked all around the tube instead of through it.  It looked like a lot, but I know it reallly wasn't.

Now trying to get fluids and protein in....it's really hard.  I'm pushing more fluids when push comes to shove, do NOT want to get dehydrated, that just makes everything worse.

The dietician (who I have only met once - while in the hospital) told me not to worry about the vitamins and suppliments and such at first, to work on fluid and protein.  The sample menu of what to eat right out of the surgery ....  I can't get that much in yet.  Like 4oz for breakfast (creme of wheat with milk with protein powder.  

I'm suppose to have 60-80g of proten a day and at least 64 oz of fluids a day.  Then add in low fat, low carb. low sugar, creamy yogurt (which I have not been able to find!!! - even the brands they recommend have chuncks and it says NO SEEDS OR CHUNCKS!)  Tried Creme of Wheat today....bleh.....took us a while to get it cooked right so that it wasn't really stick!  

All I can say is wow......this is NOTHING like I expected.  I;'ve had major surgeries before, but this one really kicked my butt.  Hopeing that things will start getting better!!  I agined over 10 pounds in the hospital.  I assume all the fluids they pump into you with IVs.  I was 269 the morning of surgery.  Then yesterday before discharged I was up to 286 or something close to that.  Still feeling really bloated.  Hope that weight will come off eventually!

Shelly
Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

itamd1970
on 10/19/12 3:03 pm
 I'm having mine on monday. I'm quite scared about what happens next
Allen Y.
on 10/19/12 3:27 pm - Garland, TX
 Don't wish your life away, for most people it's all together too short anyway.

Hope things go better for you soon.

seattledeb
on 10/19/12 5:47 pm
 Yup..it's major surgery and you are ripe in the middle of it.
It's good you are focusing of fluid. Those protein and fluids numbers are goals to get to. I remember crying over looking at 2 oz of yogurt I couldn't possibly eat it.
Personally I would not worry about low fat yogurt. Get the yogurt you like and pour just a little bit out of the container.
Protein shakes are good at this time because it meets fluid and protein goals.

It sucks..it gets better. Good luck!
Deb T.

poet_kelly
on 10/19/12 7:13 pm - OH
The weight gain is the IV fluids, yeah.  Don't worry about it.  It'll come off soon.

For yogurt, get plain Greek yogurt.  It's high in protein and has no added sugar.  It has some sugar because it's made from milk and milk has sugar in it in the form of lactose.  You can flavor it with different things, like sugar free pudding mix or sugar free syrups.  If you put some sugar free cheesecake pudding mix in it, it will taste just like cheese cake (and once you're able to eat solid food, you can top that with some no sugar added cherry pie filling and have cherry cheesecake!).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Elizabeth G.
on 10/19/12 11:32 pm - RI
RNY on 10/18/12
 Hi Shelly,

I came home from the hospital last night. Today my focus is on water and thin proteins only. Not going to stress cream of wheat, soups, or anything else. Water and as much protein as I can get in is all I'm focused on. The other food stuff can wait another day or two until I feel like experimenting. 

Good luck!

Liz
tinamarie_125
on 10/20/12 11:47 am
Hang in there. It is hard in the beginning. It does get easier.
dfarmer1196
on 10/21/12 5:56 am
RNY on 10/16/12
I had my surgery on the 16th and they have me on a clear liquid diet only.  I am still hungry and feel like going in the kitchen and eating something I shouldn't.  I ate half a donut yesterday and had some gas and dumping.  But that did not last very long.  I just wish I wasnt so hungry all the time.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 145 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views