Articles reinforcing the importance of being compliant with our vitamins!

Kim H.
on 10/22/12 7:04 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-10-selenium-deficiency-cardiomyopathy-post-gastric-bypass.html

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
poet_kelly
on 10/22/12 7:14 am - OH
Thanks for posting this.  I think it's particularly interesting that it addresses selenium deficiency.  Flintstones vitamins, gummy vitamins, and some others do not have any selenium, and some surgeons and dieticians still recommend them to patients and I know some posters here on OH take those vitamins.  Also, many surgeons do not test for selenium deficiency unless you specifically ask them to.  Just some stuff to think about.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chowell
on 10/22/12 10:30 am - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12
kelly i am confused on what vitamins i should i take. i hear so many things but you seem to know a lot about vitamins, right now i am crushing up centurm multivitamins 2 a day, spring valley natural calcium 600mg with vitamin d 3 times a day crushed up, spring valley b12 500mcg 1 a day crushed, spring valley natural b50 complex  crushed 1 a day, my multi vitamin has 18mg of iron.

Cecily Howell                

poet_kelly
on 10/22/12 10:37 am - OH
The two Centrum multis is fine.

The calcium you're taking is calcium carbonate, which we can't absorb.  We need calcium citrate.

The D3 and B complex is fine.

We need a sublingual b12 that dissolves under the tongue, or else the nasal spray or shots.

As far as iron goes, the ASMBS says if you menstruate, you need to take an additional 18-27 mg iron.  Otherwise, the iron in your multi is enough.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chowell
on 10/22/12 12:06 pm - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12

so do i need to take addittional calcium or change my d3 vitamin as well, because that is with the calcium pills, and what is a good calcium citrate to take.

Cecily Howell                

poet_kelly
on 10/22/12 12:09 pm - OH
Yes, you need to take 1500-2000 mg calcium CITRATE, according to the ASMBS.  There is no reason to keep taking the calcium carbonate since you won't absorb it and it can also lead to kidney stones in some people.

Calcium citrate supplements usually contain D3 as well.

You can get generic calcium citrate tablets anywhere that sells vitamins.  If you want chewable calcium citrate, you'll probably have to order online.  I like Upcal D, which is a powder you can mix in any drink.  YOu have to order it online, too.

Recent Topics