Question about calories and carbs

brandi31cole
on 10/21/12 5:26 am - arlington, TX
My weight loss has stalled. I'm wondering if having too many calories and carbohydrates will stall your weight loss. I'm 8 weeks post op and have been stalled for about 2 weeks. Any help is appreciated.
justinplex
on 10/21/12 5:36 am - Kilgore, TX
 may want to give some examples of what you have been eating. carbs are definitely a no-no, keep them to a minimum.
 Justin T. Johnson                            
wendydettmer
on 10/21/12 5:53 am - Rochester, NY
 not all carbs are bad.  i would say keep breads, pastas, rice, etc to a min, but carbs in fresh veggies, fruits, etc aren't bad for you.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

brandi31cole
on 10/21/12 5:59 am - arlington, TX
I got confused because my nutritionist don't worry about that right now. I AM worried about it, my husband thinks I should go low carbohydrate. I eat whole wheat bread and crackers, potatoes. I measure out the potatoes a half cup, 1 slice of bread, 10 crackers.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/21/12 9:53 am - OH
Eliminate the potatoes, crackers, and bread (unless it is whole GRAIN (not all whole wheat is whole grain)). Those things offer almost no nutritional value and are the types of carbs that often make people crave even MORE carbs. They are what are sometimes referred to as the "white carbs" that we are told to eliminate from our diets.

Most people who have been successful with losing their weight AND maintaining their weight loss no longer eat those things. At 5 years out (and maintaining my weight), I *still* do not eat 10 crackers of any kind. 5 or 6 MAYBE, but never 10.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

artroxy blue
on 10/21/12 7:37 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Personally, I'd pass on potatoes right now. I'd focus more on adding vegetables (think dark, leafy greens, cauliflower, etc. ) if you have a hankering for veggies. I know for me, potatoes are a carb coma waiting to happen. Also, I'd eat way too much. LOL 

As for plateauing, it's pretty normal to have them along the way. You're body sometimes needs a little time to deal with the changes you're going through. With that said, it's important to focus on the basics: protein first, plenty of water/clear beverages, exercising (if possible), and what not. ;)

BWB
on 10/21/12 9:54 am
 You didn't mention how much you are exercising but maybe your instructions call for a little more time before you start.  Consuming protein when you work out will help and you need to exercise enough to feel  it.   I have had 1 or 2 week stalls all along but I come back and lose another pound.  No one said that it would be easy.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/21/12 9:59 am - OH
Of course having too many calories will keep you from losing weight. It did before surgery and it does after surgery. As lo as you are following your food plan, you cannot eat enough right now to eat too many calories to keep you from losing, however.

Yes, too many carbs can also cause you not to lose, but with the carbs it is really more about the KIND of carbs. Avoid the "white carbs" and limit your carbs to dairy, legumes, and veggies, and a limited amount of whole grains and fruits.

You are almost certainly just going through a normal period where you are not losing. Weight loss varies... sometimes you will not lose for a while and then other times the weight will drop very quickly... that is just how it works,.. so just two weeks isn't really considered a stall by most.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

brandi31cole
on 10/21/12 9:59 am - arlington, TX
 Umm....BWB, I KNOW nothing is going to be easy. I'm someone that BATTLED my weight ALL of my life. I'm 32 years old and was weighing 437 lbs. I got down to 300 on my own, but then my diabetes started acting up, so I opted for the surgery. Good thing I did, I have been taken off of all diabetes medicine, high blood pressure medicine, high cholesterol medicine, and off of my cpap machine. As far as exercising goes, I have been doing a little strength training and walking for 30 minutes a day. I had to take it easy last week because I had a tooth pulled. I only posted this on the forum to see what other people experienced and if they had something in common they could tell me what they did.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 282 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views