Day 12 post op...soooo tired!!!

Robin R.
on 10/24/12 8:30 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12
So being around this forum A LOT since surgery plus having my mom walk me through it since she is 17 months post op I have a good sense of what to expect also while realizing everyone is different. And with all the complications and issues I've read about I haven't seen one about being sooo tired this early on! I know people can get anemic (my mom has to get iron infusions now) but I'm only 12 days out. I've been pretty energetic and happy actually for the last week and a half.  Today I'm just constantly yawning even with a good night's sleep. Just a fluke? What do you do to wake yourselves up this late in the day?? I don't want to take a nap, because for the first time in months I'm on a normal sleep schedule and I'm afraid a nap will keep me up later or I won't wake up til morning or I'll wake up super early at 4 or something... -frustrated-

MissLisaD
on 10/24/12 9:03 am - CA
RNY on 05/31/12
I was tired for quite a while post op....so I believe this is quite normal.  I have never been a nap person, but after surgery I was out of work for 6 weeks and I napped and napped all the time!  If you aren't working right now, I'd suggest indulging yourself in a mid afternoon nap while you can! You had major surgery, and you probably aren't able to get in enough protein to keep you fully energized for the whole day.  Maybe try taking a nap, then taking a walk?  Just my thought.

HW: (265 in 2007) Consult weight: 247 SW: 221 CW:151.8 GW:140     

justinplex
on 10/24/12 9:21 am - Kilgore, TX
 I am 11 days out and I was actually pretty tired today as well. I think I just overworked myself yesterday. I also ended up getting a migraine today too. I just chalk it up as one of those days. Unless it persists for several days, I wouldn't worry!
 Justin T. Johnson                            
Dave Chambers
on 10/24/12 9:27 am - Mira Loma, CA

Fatigue is a very common issue for post ops.  This may go on for 3-4 months.  "..this late in the day"?  How long did you sleep?  If possible try to keep on a schedule for sleeping. Eat some protein or have a protein drink within 30 minutes of waking. Some find that doing their exercise for the day early helps to endergize them for the day.  Until you've had some labwork done, you can't "guess" your anemic.  Take an iron supplement, but not at the same time as your calcium.  Drink plenty of fluids. I assume you're eating something at 12 weeks--try to have 6 small meals throughout the day to help keep your body fueled.  Some post ops find eating a little protein just before bedtime helps them begin their day feeling better, since they can tolerate eating or drinking protein better. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

kcarlson0814
on 10/24/12 10:43 am - CA
RNY on 09/10/12
OMG I was sooooooooooooo tired for the first 3 weeks, around week 4 I got some energy back.   I took naps everyday and 2 naps on other days.... your body is healing and needs some down time... don't fight it, take a nap or lay down and watch a movie and let your body heal.   Trust me you will get your energy back and you can go back to the no naps... although I always support an afternoon nap, especially on a rainy day... of course I say that because I work way too much and can never nap.  
HW: 300 / Lapband Low: 247 / RNY: 9/10/12          
jackie M.
on 10/24/12 2:13 pm - Sunbury, PA
RNY on 10/10/12

I'm 14 days out.   I slept almost non-stop the first couple of days.  There is too much going on in my house for me to really rest.  So I sleep when I can.

HW 284.5, SW 247, GW 140       

Carol S.
on 10/25/12 12:07 am - Milwaukee, WI
 Sure.  On day 10 after a lap hernia repair I thought I would work out-I took a nap instead.  I'm over 9 years out.  Surgery sends your body into a tail spin sometimes.  It will slowly get better.  Be patient.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Most Active
Recent Topics