First post op appt

shellykayd
on 10/23/12 5:28 am - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
 Saw my surgeon today.  He removed my JP drain and the severe pain I was having that started yesterday is practically gone now!!  SOOOO glad to have that thing out!

I tried to ask him some questions and he wasn't really very informative.  I have not been sleeping (maybe 2 hours at a time, maybe a total of 4 hours a night) - no naps during the day.  He just said it could be from the anethetic still or pain or maybe my pain med causes me to be become jittery (I went two days without any pain meds and STILL could not sleep).  Pretty vague.

Then asked about the headaches I have been having and he just gave me a blank look and didn't say anything and then just said I would feel much better now that the drain is out.

I'm hoping I can sleep tonight, maybe having that drain out will make a difference!

Just was not impressed with the appointment.....I guess I'm use to my pcp at home who will actually sit there and talk to me for 1/2 an hour or something to be sure I have all my questions answered and that I understand.  Totally spoiled with that doctor!

I weigh the same as I did the day of surgery.....but I went up almost 20 pounds in the hospital and still am a bit puffy, so maybe I've lost some.

Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

CarolF3
on 10/23/12 5:37 am - Albany, NY
RNY on 12/17/12
Congratulations on your surgery!!!

The weight gain in the hospital is from the fluids you had running via the IV.

Give your body time to heal and follow your Team's directions.

It will get better.

Carol

chickzero1
on 10/23/12 5:39 am - Bossier City, LA
 I had a hard time sleeping too, that went away at about day 10. I also had wicked headaches. That went away after I stopped eating/ drinking artificially flavored stuff. I would rather not have diet drinks and drink water than have those headaches...same with the sf jello and such...GROSS! Good luck to you. Each day will get better. 

Robin R.
on 10/23/12 5:43 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12
one week out i was able to sleep normal hours again and my mom gets really horrible headaches from the pain meds so she could only take tylenol. maybe experiement to see if the pain meds cause your headaches? glad you got the drain out, they took mine out in the hospital. good luck on the rest of your journey :)

Dolores L.
on 10/23/12 6:27 am - FL
Revision on 08/14/12
Don't expect your surgeon to go out of his way to practice anything other than surgery. That's just how most of them are. Do call your PCP to talk to him/her about the sleeping and other issues. the exception to that seems to be the vitamin advice, and I have gotten more information on here (nod to Kelly & others) than what I knew myself pre-op. It's been a huge learning curve! So hang out here and read the posts and you will learn too!

If you have been having a lot of pain - or even a little, you may indeed sleep better with the JP out. You may not have been taking enough pain meds. Though sometimes pain medication can cause a paradoxical lack of sleep, also.

Congrats on your surgery and your progress thus far! Don't fret about the scale - that will take care of itself as you start to diurese (lose the fluid) - it usually takes at least a few days for that to start happen. Then you will pee like a racehorse!! LOL.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 60 replies · 403 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 57 replies · 239 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 508 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 580 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 305 views
Recent Topics