Anyone else embarrassed?

ktattwu
on 10/30/12 12:17 am - Vancouver, WA
RNY on 11/07/12

My surgery is quickly approaching and I have been very reluctant to tell people I am having the surgery.  My coworkers know I will be out of work for a while due to surgery on my stomach but I have not told them it is weight loss surgery.  Has anyone else felt embarrassed/ashamed of having this surgery?  I know this is the right decision for me but I am so used to trying to mask my feelings about my weight and not mention it to others that I am unsure how to go about being vocal about it now.

Robin R.
on 10/30/12 12:23 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12

I told my immediate family, roommates, church members, and close friends exactly what I was getting done. Other than that, I think it's a LOT easier to tell people AFTER you get the surgery. Mainly, some people only know about gastric bypass from word of mouth through people and have heard only bad things about it and might try to talk you out of it. You've made your decision and you know it's the right one. I suggest tell people you care about because they deserve to know and for anyone else you can tell them after, but you don't HAVE to. It's your business and your body and no one should make you feel ashamed or embarrassed about doing something healthy for yourself :)

mzzz86
on 10/30/12 12:24 am - Canada
Not at all its one of the most great decisions in my life so far (only being 25) and I'm not embarrassed at all only beause you are going to be loosing weight fast and I'd rather prople be talking which they will about the right facts not the gossip especially in the work place trust me after surgery is so much easier to tell people for 1 they are interested in the process and I have found to be very encouraging for myself not embarassed at all and haven't been since I got my surgery date and I'm soo happy everything went well for me as I hope it does for you so you can shout it out!!!!!
Infogal
on 10/30/12 12:30 am
You need to do what YOU feel comfortable doing.

I am a very private person and only told my immediate family. I don't feel I "owe" anyone an explanation on what medical procedures i've had. I don't believe everyone needs to know what medical procedures i've needed over the years.

I might get slammed for this and I respect other peoples opinion BUT in the end I will do what is right for me.
Infogal            
Turtle Lynn
on 10/30/12 12:35 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Embarrassed?  Nope, not at all.  Do I feel that everyone needs to know my personal business. . .nope, not that either.  

I have told all of the people at my full-time job, who are all EXTREMELY supportive, some of my family and friends, and 2 people at my part-time job.  

The reason I have not told more people at my part-time job is that many of the women there tend to be very negative and derogatory in their comments and I don't particularly care for them and they are not people that  I would consider a friend, so I do not feel that they need to know what is going on in my personal life.  It is strictly business.  Other than that, I have no trouble at all telling anyone or discussing the surgery with them.  

It is a very individual thing and you have to do what you feel comfortable with.  After you have the surgery and start feeling more confident in your decision, you may decide to shout it from the rooftops or keep it to yourself.  It is entirely up to you.  You are not obligated to discuss your medical history or health with ANYONE it is your body, your business.  If you choose to share that is entirely up to you.  If not, there is nothing wrong with that either!

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery, and I hope this helped!

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Dee.spunk
on 10/30/12 12:38 am - Sacramento, CA
I think its a private choice wether to tell or not. You know the people around you better than we do. I know the people around me would be supportive, so I told them, and Ive had nothing but support. But not all people are like that, so if you know they'll give you a hard time, dont tell them. I wasn't ashamed of what I did, but I wanted to be the one to tell people on my own terms. If you decide to tell, maybe start by telling people who you know will be supportive.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

poet_kelly
on 10/30/12 12:40 am - OH

I'm sure some people are embarrassed but I wasn't, no.  Everyone that knew me already knew I was obese.  That wasn't news to anyone.  I don't see why I should be embarrassed about deciding to do something about my obvious weight problem.  Obesity is a medical problem and I see nothing wrong with getting medical treatment for medical problems.  I was actually kind of proud of myself for deciding to do something about it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nfarris79
on 10/30/12 12:52 am - Germantown, MD

Not embarrassed about the surgery. Looking back on pictures of when I was obese, I feel embarrassed about the past. If anyone asks me how I lost weight, I tell them proudly, but not graphic details. It's really a personal decision of how you feel about yourself and your medical decisions.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Lindah55
on 10/30/12 12:55 am - OR
RNY on 10/09/12

I have only told close family members. Anyone else its non of their business. Especially the one's who would disagree. I am

sure others will hear via the grapevine.

Gilly68
on 10/30/12 1:16 am - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

I was feeling very anxious about this as well, my surgery is coming up Dec 3....but what I found is that after the first couple of people I told, it became much easier. I didn't feel the need to tell everyone at work, but word spread quickly and everyone was SO supportive! Most of my family has been too. Take pride in the fact that you are taking the initive to do this FOR your health!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 350 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 499 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 289 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 350 views