Complications from gallbladder surgery

solise
on 11/2/12 10:21 pm - Brooklyn, NY
I had my gallbladder removed on october 15th. After the initial healing period I started to experience a burning in my navel. I told my surgeon about it on my follow up visit. He didnt think it was anything to worry about. He said that incision hurts the most because thats where he pulled my gallbladder out.

Long story short, the burning got MUCH worse. Sometimes affecting me being able to stand/walk. After work on tuesday I was unable to straighten up completely and had trouble walking. I went straight to the emergency room. After about 13 hrs of testing they found out I have an infection. They gave me antibiotics (clindamycin) and ibuprofen for the pain. Needless to say neither is doing anything for the burning/pain. Im seeing my surgeon again on tuesday. The pain im experiencing now is so much worse than the pain from the surgery.
walterswife
on 11/2/12 10:35 pm

I am sorry you are not doing well. Is there something u can take rather than the ibuprofen for the pain?  That could complicate things later on. Feel better soon. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

solise
on 11/2/12 10:37 pm - Brooklyn, NY
They also gave me oxycodone/acetaminophen on a earlier visit so Ive been using that for the pain. The ibuprofen doesnt work at all.
MultiMom
on 11/2/12 10:39 pm - NH

Be very careful with the ibuprofen. That is an NSAID which can be really bad for the pouch. 

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

solise
on 11/2/12 10:43 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Thanks but im really not taking it because it doesnt work. I dont know why they would give me that knowing I had a RNY
Dave Chambers
on 11/2/12 11:09 pm - Mira Loma, CA

13 hours to figure out you had an infection?  I would have thought that possilbity would be the first possiblity the ER looked for. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

solise
on 11/2/12 11:55 pm - Brooklyn, NY
I have no idea why it took so long but after 3 days of taking the anti biotics im still in alot of pain and im not sure what to do next. I'll be seeing my surgeon on tuesday.
Kat Kat
on 11/3/12 1:42 am, edited 11/3/12 1:43 am - AZ

I'd go back to the ER. They don't always know the first time. Unbearable abdominal pain is not normal.

I once went to the ER with pain that was horrendous. The ER doc said I had a urinary tract infection, and gave me antibiotics,  narcotics, and instructions to see my pcp in 2 weeks. I suffered terribly all evening, and went to the doctor the next day. I was sent to have a CAT scan within 30 minutes of that appointment, and 45 minutes after the CAT scan, they called to tell me I had a mass that filled my entire abdominal cavity. I saw a surgeon that day. It ended up being a tumor that was so large it was pushing on my lungs. Well, so much for it being a UTI.

Kat

solise
on 11/3/12 10:32 am, edited 11/3/12 5:34 pm - Brooklyn, NY
OMG thats horrible. They did a CT scan with contrast and said it didnt appear to need any drainage so theyre calling it a skin infection but the pain is horrendous. I have trouble walking, moving and bending...forget it. I feel as if i have an open wound inside. Its inside my navel but more to the right than the left. It had felt like it was getting better up till today when the pain got real bad again. The light touching of my clothing sends me into tears...almost.

Oh and its draining a slight yellow discharge.
Kat Kat
on 11/3/12 1:35 pm - AZ

I'd definitely would not wait, and think you should call your surgeon, or go back to the ER. I really don't think the type of pain you're experiencing is normal, even for an infection.  Even if it's just a waiting game until the antibiotic works, they should at least provide a pain killer that works in the meantime.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 385 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 169 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics