4 weeks post op.....hard road

shellykayd
on 11/12/12 1:59 pm - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12

I was actually doing pretty well until about 2 weeks post op when I got an infection in my incision in my belly button.  It got pretty bad and ended up in the local hospital for 5 days on IV antibiotics.  Now I have a pretty big wound and long wound tracks that they have to pack and dress.  NOT what I had planned at all.

Today I finally got a wound vac and we are really hoping it will cut down on the healing time, especially of those long tracks under the skin.  I just want to get back to my swim exercise class!  Not going to happen for a few more months though.....

Has anyone else had a nasty infection from one of their incisions?

Also since I got it I have been unable to drink the protein shakes that I had no issue drinking before, even post surgery I could get down like 4 oz over 20 minutes.  Now it takes me about an hour to get down 2 oz and then feel really sick and nauseous.

I don't know if I can do this......

Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/12/12 2:06 pm - OH
I did not get an infection, but when I had my tummy tuck the entire incision turned necrotic and I had a giant triangular "crater" in my belly just under the breast bone and extending under both breasts (I had a reverse tummy tuck which is an upright "T" shape). For several reasons, I was not able to get a wound vac, so I spent 5 months cleaning and sucking it twice a day until it healed up (from the inside out). Even after the skin started to re-grow it was very delicate and thin and was very easily torn open again for several weeks.

Not sure why you would be reacting to your protein shakes differently, unless you are taking oral antibiotics (which can make you queasy). Perhaps you can try a different brand of shakes,

You CAN do this. You have to.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MrsLitch
on 11/12/12 2:42 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Like Lora I had issues with my tummy tuck and I wore a wound vac for over a month and it took 11 mo to heal completely. Not doing it is not an option. The wound vac worked wonders for me the last of the healing was just surface stuff that my body didn't want to scab over and get better.

Are you on any nausea meds? I agree the antibiotic may be messing with your belly when it comes to shakes. Perhaps try a different brand or ask the doc for a suggestion.

You can and WILL do this!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

scarlettbegonias
on 11/12/12 2:46 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I had an infection one week after surgery which landed me back in hospital on iv antibiotics, prior to that I had no probs with my protein but since I got out it turns my stomach just to think about it and drinking its a chore! I'm hoping this goes away soon, good luck with the wound vac I hope it clears up soon for you.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

PedalSteelGirl
on 11/12/12 11:23 pm - Silver Spring, MD

Hi!  I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble.  I didn't have probs with infection; but I DID come home (despite my quite vocal objections) with a 104-degree fever and diarrhea.  I was operated on Wed. 11/13/2003 and came home Sat. 11/16/2003.  By Monday,  11/18/2003 - I was readmitted to the same hospital where I'd had my bypass and my diagnosis was Pancreatitis.  I had wondered why everyone else on the floor was up and walking around the next day and I just wasn't.  It certainly wasn't my 1st surgery - I'd had knee joint replacement, 2 cervical fusions and four lumbar laminectomies,  I'd also had extensive pelvic surgery due to female problems.  Sooo, it wasn't pain keeping me down, I was just plain too sick to get up and nobody caught on.  All I can say is be patient.  I had to recover from pancreatitis -- a long slow process -- and my weight didn't really start to budge at all for the first FOUR MONTHS; but when I was better and everything was working "O.K." I lost all my weight and now after 9 years I don't even check a scale - I can tell by my clothes; that and I keep mental track of what I've eaten every day!  Feel better and best of luck to you!  

Jo Ann
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 285 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?