Help! The backache

MissK123456789
on 11/17/12 9:34 am - PA

Hello fellow RNY'ers!

Can someone please tell me when the backaches start to settle down?  Mine back started to ache about a month out from surgery.  I'm just over three months and continue to have problems.  It is the strangest thing, it migrates.  Sometimes it is in my sciatic joint and I have pain down my leg, sometimes my tailbone aches, and sometimes it is the shoulder or mid back. 

I work out Monday through Friday (YES, everyday) before work. I'm sure the new exercise regimen isn't helping but can anyone tell me...when does it let up???

Karen

poet_kelly
on 11/17/12 9:59 am - OH

Without knowing the cause of your backache or anything else about it or you, I have no way of even guessing how long it will continue to hurt.  Have you talked to a doctor about it?  You might need to get advice from a doc or a physical therapist about what kind of exercise to do and what to avoid so you don't make it worse.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MissK123456789
on 11/17/12 10:02 am - PA

Thanks Kelly,

I am seeing the chiropractor every few weeks.  He said he thinks it is due to the quick weight loss and that I am now exercising when I did not exercise at all.  He has no idea how long, however, it will last.  I have seen others that have had the same issue. I'm was just hoping to find some idea of when it might ease up.

Karen

Jenya37
on 11/17/12 12:08 pm - Cloquet, MN

I, too, experienced phantom tail bone pain.  I was reading that many people experience this due to so much weight loss that there is no padding any more.  I can assure you I still have plenty of padding, but my tail bone ached for a long time.  It's not so bad anymore, not sure what caused it, but if you ever figure it out, let me know! It started right after surgery for me and it seems to be subsiding, I'm about two months out.

Jennifer

garnetgal
on 11/17/12 12:15 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12

Without knowing all of your history, I'm hoping it's the simple kind of back pain. I've had it explained to me like this... When you're pregnant your back adjusts as you get an increasing load in the front. When you deliver the baby you suddenly no longer have the load in the front and your back has to adjust for that and it HURTS!!! Now that you are losing weight and your tummy is going down, once again your back has to adjust for that shift in weight. My back was a royal PITA for about the first 3-1/2 to 4 months. It did get progressively better. As I already have 3 herniated lumbar discs, I do still have my moments, but for the most part my back is pain free now at 7-1/2 months out.

JP23
on 11/17/12 10:53 pm
RNY on 07/10/12

I thought I was the only one!  I've been having a low back ache around my tailbone for the past couple of days too.  I've been rubbing icy hot on it & that helps

MissK123456789
on 11/17/12 11:10 pm - PA

Thanks for the intel guys!  At least I know that when my back adjusts to less belly, it should lessen up.  That is what the doctor said but he had no timeframe.  I can live with anything for a few months.  The not knowing was hard.

Thanks again for the replies!

Most Active
Recent Topics