Pulmicort nasal rinse. Problem?

Gizzys
on 11/20/12 4:46 am - Canada

Hello - I have chronic sinusitis and nasal polyps and have been using Pulmicort respules mixed with a salt saline as a nasal rinse to shrink the polyps.  Pulmicort is a corticosteroid and it contains Budesonide which I think is a type of anti-inflammatory.  This treatment works wonders for me and really extends the time between nasal surgeries (I have had 5).  After reading up on some of the threads lately about NSAIDS, my question is could taking this treatment be a danger for me now that I have had an RNY?

My ENT knows about my WLS and I have made her aware that I shouldn't be taking any NSAIDS.  She still prescribed this treatment and for the last year I have been using it.  I feel fine, but I am a bit worried.  I will be speaking with my surgeon at my next visit but wonder if anyone has any input on this?  Thanks.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

MultiMom
on 11/20/12 6:53 am, edited 11/20/12 6:58 am - NH

I would ask your ENT, but I believe that corticosteroids are in the steroid family not the NON steroids that are NSAIDS (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs). I think that the corti indicates that it is topical, and obviously steroid is steroid :)

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Carol S.
on 11/20/12 9:53 pm - Milwaukee, WI

I've taken all kinds of actual steroids ****asional breathing problems) and never had a problem.  Like the other poster, I believe it is Non steroidals that we are looking out for.  I know that oral steroids bother my stomach but not if I have food in it.  I think they can be irritating in general but not as damaging.  I would probably talk to my surgeon or have my ENT talk to my surgeon to confirm.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Gizzys
on 11/20/12 10:50 pm - Canada

Okay thank you, this makes me feel better.  I think when I read that it includes Budesonide which is an anti-inflammitory, it threw me.  I will ask my surgeon forsure at my next appointment.  I really don't want to stop taking it because it really does help with the polyp situation but not if there's a risk of it causing ulcers.  Thanks again for your comments!

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 456 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 528 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 509 views
What's on your Monday Menu?