An update... And wanting opinions

tinamarie_125
on 11/23/12 8:17 am

After going back to the ER with severe abdominal pain, I insisted on them calling someone from general surgery to look at my CT scan. The gen surgeon then admitted me, did a scope and said that I have a marginal ulcer. They gave me Lortab, Nexium (which I have been on already for a year), and more carafate. I followed up with my gastric bypass surgeon the next week. He says we need to do a revision because of me having ulcers and my history of recurring strictures. A revision scares me to death. I don't want to have surgery again. I had a hard long recovery emotionally and physically. I don't really understand how a revision is going to fix things. Can someone please explain this to me in elementary terms that I can understand?  He says my only other option is to try being on carafate the rest of my life, 4 times a day and you have to have an empty stomach to take it. Will you all please give me your thoughts/opinions on this? Oh, and as a side note, he made me do labs to prove I don't smoke. As that's one of the leading causes of marginal ulcers that and taking NSAIDs (which I never do).

MrsLitch
on 11/23/12 8:49 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

what is he revising too? or is he just removing the area that keeps getting ulcers?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/23/12 8:52 am

I am sorry to hear about your ulcer. Is he proposing to revise to a DS? I would want a second opinion from another surgeon before I agreed to anything.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

BugdocMom
on 11/23/12 9:17 am - CA

I had a discussion with my surgeon about this exact thing. As I understand it, a revision would cut out the portion of the stomach that is prone to developing ulcers. So the tissue area with cells in it that are overactive and producing excess acid that is damaging the surrounding tissues would be removed and without those acid-producing cells, the other tissues would not be as irritated and would heal. If I had recurrent ulcers without the use of NSAIDS or smoking, I would seriously consider a revision. Good luck to you!

tinamarie_125
on 11/23/12 9:56 pm

This is how he explained it! But your terms make it easier to understand. Thank you! I feel so clueless sometimes.

Allen Y.
on 11/23/12 9:24 am - Garland, TX

Ask the doc exactly what he proposes to do with a revision and how he thinks it will help. Are you taking caffeine in? Coffee etc? For some people this makes them more prone to ulcers.

I had a emergency fistula repair one month out from my RNY. It was no fun but I lived through it. If this will increase your quality of life, do it. Don't let the 3 weeks of setback from the surgery hold you back from years of better health. But have a clear idea of what the Dr. wants to do and why. Ask a different doctor who specializes in WLS what he thinks.

tinamarie_125
on 11/24/12 8:42 am

Allen, I rarely drink caffeine. I am just wondering how long to give the meds to work before surgery is a last resort. My surgeon wanted me to go ahead and schedule a date. I totally trust him and his judgement. I am just scared of surgery again. My doc is military, so I know he's not in it for the money. And he's the 2nd in charge over our very large hospital. My husband cannot take off time for my surgery (he's in med school), so I would be relying on my 19 yr old daughter to take care of me and she has a small window of time which is her Xmas break. If I put it off further, I will have to wait until next spring. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 197 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 11 views
Recent Topics