Lets talk Miralax!

Pears678
on 12/2/12 12:59 am

So I have started the miralax and magnesium oxide regimen that everyone on here talks about. But how often do you take the miralax? Is it safe to take daily since its a laxative? I notice sometimes after drinking it I'm a little nauseous, and I really drink it slow. I drank it fast the first time, that was awful. Anyway, looking for some feedback on this stuff. Thanks!!

SarahLee1969
on 12/2/12 1:19 am - NY
I use the Metamucil Clear &Natural instead.It is inulin fiber, not a laxative.1 tablespoon in my decafe every morning.
I also choose to do stool softener (colace) with each calcium dose.
That has been working for me.
Carol S.
on 12/2/12 1:24 am - Milwaukee, WI

I was told that Miralax is safe.  It's not a stimulant laxative.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

courtwillbehealthy
on 12/2/12 1:29 am - burlington, VT

see i was told It WAS NOT okay to take everyday. because my body would become dependent on it. by my NUT and Surgeon. 

instead they want me to have a Laxative Tea once a week (if i cant go) and a colace everyday. 

daviswingard
on 12/2/12 1:54 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 10/30/12

Miralax is not a stimulant laxative so it IS ok to take daily.

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/12 2:36 am
RNY on 08/31/12

Basically, it is safe but may become habit forming. Here's a good link...

http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000241/

I use it but I'm trying to incorporate more high fiber foods and also using Clear & Natural like others who have posted. I've been taking Miralax nightly before bed but it can be taken at other times. Once I see that I'm getting some high amounts of fiber in my diet, I stop taking it to see how I do. I'm at exactly the 3 month mark so I hope by the end of December I will be off of it and just using Clear & Natural and water (don't forget tha****er helps with constipation).

swoozieq67
on 12/2/12 5:08 am - MI
RNY on 04/25/12

I have been using Miralax almost daily for over 5 years. I have colon issues and had to have a rectocele repair when I had a vaginal prolapse. If I do not take my Miralax there will definiteley be heck to pay.

The colace and dulcolax give me horrible gas pains so I stay away from those.

I like the ease of putting a single cap full of Miralax into my 1st cup of coffee in the morning. I also make sure to get in 80 oz of liquid a day, usually a 50/50 combo of pre mixed Crystal Light and water. (Crystal Light is too sweet for me to drink without adding extra water)

rottielover
on 12/2/12 5:44 am - NC

I take Miralax once a day and im almost a year out and it is a complete life saver for me. My Surgeon , Regular Dr and my Nutrionist all said it was SAFE to take daily. If I miss it one day I know it trust me I had enough of those days crying and literally feeling like I was having a baby and screaming in pain bc I was one of the folks who have horrible constipation. Good Luck!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views