Getting Pregnant After Gastric Bypass Surgery

C. Walker
on 12/3/12 12:24 am

Hello All,

I was just curious if any of you all had infertility (PCOS) before weight loss surgery and was able to get pregnant afterwards. If so, how far out were you before it was "safe" to get pregnant?

Due to my weight, I have tried for 3 years, going on 4 to get pregnant and been VERY unsuccessful.

My WLS Consultation appointment is tomorrow 12/4/2012 to begin the process, and I am so excited !! Wish me Luck :)

Sara O.
on 12/3/12 12:41 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

I do/did have PCOS preop. I am not ready for kids yet but my doctors assure me my rny has increased my chances greatly when I'm ready in the future. Its recommended you wait at least 2 years postop because before that point a pregnancy could be too much for your new body. Birth control is highly recommended to prevent a pregnancy that could strain your body.

I wish you all the best. Good luck. :)

C. Walker
on 12/3/12 12:57 am

Thank you for your Reply Sara, I had been told that it was a YEAR wait, so I'm definitely glad that I asked. I had debated on doing lap band vs Gastric Bypass simply because if I were to get pregnant, the saline around the lap band could be removed but I am putting this all in my surgeons hand and letting him decide which he thinks is best for me. I'm almost sure he is going to choose Gastric Bypass simply because of my weight, and medical issues that I have.

How far out are you, and how much have you lost ?

Sara O.
on 12/3/12 1:50 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

December 12th is my 9-month surgiversary. I've lost nearly 90 pounds. My goal was to lose 104 (which would put my weight at 120). My surgeon assured me RNY was the best bet for me and that after a few years I could try to get pregnant if I wanted to. I'm sure the duration of time to wait varies from surgeon to surgeon but mine told me to wait at least two--not a problem for me because I am still too young.

C. Walker
on 12/3/12 2:10 am

Wow, that is AWESOME ! I am so excited/nervous to start this journey. My insurance through my employer doesn't cover the surgery, and my husband just got insurance through his work that DOES cover it. So I'm thinking worst things possible (get fired, lose his job, get denied in the end after working so hard to do this) I'm sure these are "typical worries". I am pretty young myself, I'm 25 years old been with my husband since I was 21, and just really want to have children but I know that if I were to get pregnant right now at my heaviest it is far too dangerous of a risk. So at this point,  I thank god for not allowing me to become pregnant and putting myself and a child at risk like this.

14 MORE POUNDS GIRL !!! YOU CAN DO IT :) That is so inspiring and amazing. I want to lose at least 150 pounds, maybe more. I plan on hitting the gym and doing Zumba when my body will allow me to physically do those things. I had been going to the gym and was up to a mile on the treadmill and 2 miles on bike within a few weeks, then something happened at the gym and I got very discouraged and now I pay a monthly membership fee and don't even go. But, I am hoping to find some people in my area who are going to have surgery and will go with me, that would be pretty cool.

Sara O.
on 12/3/12 8:07 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

I think 25 is a good age to start considering children. I want to wait till I'm closer to 30 or at least married/committed to a partner who also wants kids. I don't consider myself ready for marriage or kids right now. I can't seem to find a boyfriend to stick around long enough to even imagine us married in the future. lol.

As for the gym, I don't currently go to one. I can't really afford to. I walk/run in my neighborhood and exercise at home. I'm about to return to college/university so I'll get to take advantage of the rec center there for free. I'm excited about the indoor pool. I haven't gone swimming in forever.

I want to wish you good luck. It can be scary in the beginning but it is so worth it. In a couple of years it will definitely be worth it when you're holding that gorgeous baby of yours in your arms. You added me today, feel free to message me any time and keep me updated on your surgery. Do you know when it will be?

losing-lisa
on 12/3/12 6:57 am - Stevens Point, WI
RNY on 10/31/12
If you have PCOS (I've got it bad), I can almost guarantee they will suggest the RNY for you. The malabsorption makes PCOS patients more successful with an RNY, as opposed to lap-band, which only provides restriction. One of the reasons I went with the RNY was in hopes of having the possibility of pregnancy later on, if I want, as well as avoiding the hassle of going in every 6-8 weeks for three years for fills with a lap-band. I'm only a month out, but feel like I made the right choice...

Lisa K
Post-op RNY - 10/31/2012

C. Walker
on 12/4/12 9:51 pm

Lisa,

Please add me as a friend and keep me updated on the pregnancy issue. I had my first consultation appointment yesterday he gave me 3 different options but RNY just seemed right for me as it will resolve alot of issues that I currently have.

I am so excited to get started and be healthier and feel better about myself.

Kellysnewlife
on 12/3/12 1:15 am - LA
RNY on 08/15/12

I am done having kids but my surgeon recomends waiting 18 months before trying to get pregnant.  By 18 months most of the caloric malabsorption is gone and you have gotten the most health benefit out of your wls.

Good luck with your process.  Hope to see you soon on the losers bench.

C. Walker
on 12/3/12 2:11 am

Thanks Kelly ! I hope you are doing well with your weight loss. And HOPEFULLY if all goes as well and as planned, I will be on the losers bench VERY soon !

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 374 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 341 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 181 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 216 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 124 views
Recent Topics