cosmetic surgery

Elizabeth Z.
on 12/9/12 10:42 pm - Corning, NY

Does anyone know if United Healthcare Insurance will cover any portion of a skin reduction surgery? I don't have the uncontrollable rashes but it does hinder me in the gym and with running. I will be calling my insurance company when I have time to later but was hoping if anyone knew off hand or has had experience with this insurance company and cosmetics. Thanks for any input! :)

http://bariatrickitchen.wordpress.com/

Dave Chambers
on 12/9/12 11:00 pm - Mira Loma, CA

You'll likely need documentation from your PCP about any excess skin issues. If loose skin impedes your movement, preventing proper walking or exercising, that may be a good reason for you PCP to recommend the panni surgery, removing excess abdominal skin. It's not really plasitic surgery, where the TT involves abdominal muscle tightening, but it does remove excess skin.  Usually a stable wt of 6 mo. or being 18 mo. post op is recommended, so additional wt loss does not exhibit more loose skin. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

MultiMom
on 12/9/12 11:42 pm - NH

I can't tell you about your company specifically, but I can tell you what my experience was. I went to a plastic surgeon about having breast implants and he suggested that I have the panniculectomy done too. I told him that I couldn't afford both and wanted boobs more enlightened. The panni didn't show with clothing on but I didn't have enough breast volume to hold a bra in position. He said let's put into your insurance company for approval and see what they say, so he took the photos and submitted it. Well, don't you know they approved!! I had never had a rash and it didn't bother me in any way (pics on my profile) but if they were willing to pay, I was willing to be cut! I did, however, upgrade to the small cost of having my belly button moved to not have the muffin top up there. I didn't have muscle tightening at all.....

I would first check your insurance companies website if you can because not every representative gives out correct information. Good luck :)

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

ktattwu
on 12/10/12 3:07 am - Vancouver, WA
RNY on 11/07/12

I have United Healthcare and I think you have a very good shot, although I cannot speak from personal experience.

My bariatric surgeon is also a plastic surgeon.  When I was going through all of my pre-op visits, I inquired about pricing for skin removal and was told in the office's experience, United Healthcare almost always covers the removal of excess abdominal skin.  They said it is 50/50 for the legs or arms. 

My suggestion would be to go see a surgeon and have them submit for approval.  If they say no, you haven't lost anything.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 471 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 522 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 197 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics