Is it inappropriate to ask someone if they had their excess skin removed?

RainbowRN
on 12/12/12 6:38 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I have seen so many wonderful "after" pics on here.  I keep wondering what I am going to look like after I have surgery.  I want to ask some people so bad if they have had surgery to remove excess skin or if its just hidden very well.  I don't want to offend anyone.  I'm a very open person.  Nothing really offends me.  I'm a nurse so my friends and I talk about some pretty nasty stuff and it doesn't phase us.  What others consider as TMI, I do not.  So sometimes I need to remind myself that not everyone is like me.  What do u guys think?

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Laura in Texas
on 12/12/12 7:09 pm

I think a simple, "have you had any plastic surgery?" is not too intrusive, especially on a weight loss forum where many of us have had it. Out in the real world I do think it is too intrusive. Many of us have it listed in our signature, like me. I'm an open book. Before plastics, though, I could hide my midsection in support wear. I don't look any different clothed and I did not go down in size. If you look in my 3rd year post-op photo album all but the last 3 were pre-lbl/bl.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

RainbowRN
on 12/12/12 8:35 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

You look great!  Congratulations!  I'm so looking forward to everything.  :)

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

cajungirl
on 12/12/12 7:35 pm
I don't think it's inappropriate on a WLS board. I wouldn't be offended if I was asked. I did have some plastics. Plastics didn't make me lose additional weight nor size.....it did make clothes fit better but mainly it made me feel much better.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MultiMom
on 12/12/12 8:52 pm - NH

If you were to ask a stranger, say in a store....not good. Here is fine! I will consider myself asked and tell you that my before and afters are on my profile page.

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Dave Chambers
on 12/12/12 11:38 pm - Mira Loma, CA

On a forum--it's likely fine. But in a face to face situation, you may not like the "verbal feedback" you might receive.  Kind of like when a overweight woman is asked if she is preganant? DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Larry Wassmann
on 12/12/12 11:49 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I would ask, there are questions more invasive than that we talk about. I have had a TT years ago and do not feel offended if someone asks me. I have asked people in person and they did not seem offended to me. By the way you may want to ask what was the surgery and what was removed. My TT made my stomach and lower tummy area look much slimmer, but my legs and butt look like the craters of the moon. But the tummy area looked bad even when I was dressed you could see the bulge of the excess skin. After the surgery it looks flat and I never regretted the surgery and the money I spent on it. Even after I gained and then now lost the weight, the TT was still there and I have a nice flat tummy now.  

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/13/12 1:16 am, edited 12/13/12 1:16 am

I probably wouldn't care if you asked me in real life, but that's me! Here is fine, but IRL, you might want to wait until someone volunteers the info or you know them very well.

ETA: If someone posts pics, they are probably very open to being asked questions.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/13/12 1:57 am - OH

I agree with the others: most people don't mind being asked about it here, but I wouldn't ask someone in the "real world".  I am a pretty open person in general, and I am very open on OH (even about the really embarrassing but severe need for a mons lift) with what plastic surgery had done, but would definitely be less open with people I interact with elsewhere.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

shirleyfhoffman
on 12/13/12 1:04 pm, edited 12/13/12 1:05 pm - CA

I started at 340 and just hit 164. I have lost 176 pounds so far. I have WAY more skin than I though I'd have!!! I can't wait to have my plastics done, and I'd probably show people even if they didn't ask! LOL I still have more to lose, but here's a pic of my progress so far.

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 210 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?