Head not keeping up with my body

MissK123456789
on 12/16/12 8:54 am - PA

Today was a weird day.  I fit into a pair of jeans I thought I might need after Christmas.  SIZE 10!  My head is definitely not keeping up with my weight loss.  In my head, I keep thinking I'm bigger than I am.  Does your head ever catch up???

It's also weird because today I am in my surgeon's goal range.  He said between 160-169 lbs. and when I got on the scale, I was at 168.  Frankly, I have a bit more to go before I'm done.  :)

Karen

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/16/12 9:22 am - OH

Yes, eventually your brain WILL catch up, but for some people (like me) it can take a couple of years for the brain to REALLY get it.  By the time I was two years out, I finally had a fairly realistic view of my new size (I did not reach my goal weight until 20 months out), but it took me another year and a half to get my brain to stop looking at my thighs (the only place I have much residual fat... and LOTS of extra skin) and being convinced that my thighs were just as big as before I lost 190 pounds.  Even looking at a photos of me standing easily with both legs in ONE leg of me pre-op jeans, my brain was still resistant.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Friendlybyte
on 12/16/12 9:35 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

I so know what you mean!   I went to Old Navy today and grabbed a pair of size 12 jeans thinking okay they will fit in a few weeks, plus a medium sweater.  Was too crowded to try them on in the store so I just bought them and when I got home tried the jeans on and they fit perfect!  The sweater did too!  I am in shock!  Just less than 4 months ago I was wearing 2X-3X tops and 20 pants!  I am 9 pounds away from my surgeons goal for me.  I want to lose at least another 30?  I guess when I lose more I will know when to stop.

Good luck!

Cindy~*

walterswife
on 12/16/12 9:39 am

It will eventually catch up but it takes time. I am almost 3 years out. It is finally starting to register. The most interesting part is that I am smaller than everyone I know that is thin. It's strange but a reality. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

amor1968
on 12/16/12 11:35 pm - AR

"I am so glad to hear that it will eventually catch up..I am 9 months out and down 181 lbs but I still have a ways to go.. I grabbed an 18 the other day thinking someday soon hopefully I will be able to wear them, went home and tried them on and they  fit good,  I came from wearing a 34W so I am pleased to be in an 18 but I don't see a size 18 person in the mirror. With all this extra skin I am so grossed out when I look in the mirror...I won't let my husband see me like that...lol  Still have a long road ahead...

Most Active
Recent Topics