Parathyroid (PTH)

Calif_Princess
on 12/19/12 1:55 am - Louisville, KY

Good afternoon everyone!

I just got back from my dr and we went over the results of my blood test.  It seems I'm pretty low on vit D so she gave me a prescription.  But what worries me is that she said my PTH is high.  However my calcium level is fine, though my bone density test is in the yellow.  she said it's not a problem yet but has ordered more blood test in 3 months.

Has anyone else had a hyper active or high level PTH?  I would be interested to know what you did to alleviate the problem since it seems the only option (IF my calcium level goes up) is to surgically remove the PTH glands.

Thanks!!

~Melissa~
Start 286/Current 265/ Goal 150

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/19/12 2:23 am

High PTH indicates your body is leaching calcium from your bones - when the calcium supplementation or vit D or other minerals are low and body needs to maintain normal blood level of calcium - t will take that from your bones, and teeth.

The PTH is the hormone that robs your bones.

Google it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ladytazz
on 12/19/12 2:27 am

First off, ditch the prescription D.  It is pretty much worthless to us.  Get some dry D 50,000.  The best place to get it is vitalady.com although I found some on Amazon that was a *****eaper with the shipping.

Your  calcium is fine because you are leaching it from your bones because you aren't getting enough.  Your body is producing more parathyroid hormone to help you increase your calcium levels by stealing it from your bones.  Depending on your D level you may need to take at least one dry D 50,000 a day to get it back up.  This is nothing to mess with.  Also, make sure you are getting in at least 2,000 mg of calcium citrate a day, 500 mg at a time, taken with vitamin C and away from iron.

This is not a problem with the parathyroid glands most likely.  It probably has to do with malabsorption and not getting in enough D and calcium, not an uncommon problem with WLS patients.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

DebsDream
on 12/19/12 2:37 am

Hey Lady....what is dry D?

Orientation GGH: Mar '11 --- Surgeon: Oct 23, '12 --- Pre-Op: Nov 13, '12 --- SURGERY GGH,Dr. Reed:Nov 22, '12                 

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/19/12 2:39 am

water soluble (not fat soluble) form of Vit D. We can absorb that much better than oil based D. Google that  on amazon you cn find 50,000 IU dry D3

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ladytazz
on 12/19/12 3:52 am

I highly recommend checking out vitalady.com.  She is a long time post op and pretty much an expert on what we need.  You know the stuff on there is right for a post op.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/19/12 2:38 am

I think you mis-spoke: " ...make sure you are getting in at least 2,000 mg of calcium citrate a day, 500 mg at a time, taken with vitamin C...". Calcium does not need to be taken with C. Iron does.

Ladytazz
on 12/19/12 3:49 am

You are so right.  I got them mixed up there.  It is iron that works best with vitamin C.

Calif_Princess
on 12/19/12 2:43 am - Louisville, KY

Thank you guy for your help!!  I'm Googling all this and really getting overwhelmed.  It seems everything is related to everything else. 

I looked up homeopathic remedies for a high PTH and it mentions Vit D and some other stuff.  I think I might be entering perimenopause also (I'm 44) and the herbal remedies they suggest for that is exactly what they suggest for PTH symptoms!  That seems strange, but maybe not.  ??? 

Okay, so the prescription D isn't any good?  Because it's in pill form?  Is this dry D powder?  Thanks again for your help!!

~Melissa~
Start 286/Current 265/ Goal 150

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/19/12 2:49 am

http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Tech-D3-50-000-100-Caps/dp/B000A0F 2B2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355942903&sr=8-1&keywords=50000+ iu+vitamin+d3

capsules. But - make sure your get the D tested if yu decide to use one capsule a day for 1-2 months.  Too much can be toxic.

Most Active
Recent Topics