Great recipe alert! Herbed Laban!!

Louise1974
on 12/20/12 6:57 am

I used to make these all the time and had forgotten all about them.  they are perfect for post ops of all stripes and beautiful and tasty too.  I don't know the exact nutritional info but I bet they are higher in protein than greek yogurt.  Very tasty with crackers or on a platter with pitas, cucumbers, and olives.  My kids eat them as an on the go breakfast.

Herbed Laban, tangy Middle Eastern cheese, often served for breakfast but great as appetizers or a snack:

Mix 2 cups plain nonfat or lowfat yogurt (just get regular yogurt, not greek since you are straining it but spend extra and get some really good quality for this) with 2 t salt

Line a strainer with cheesecloth and let yogurt strain for 24 hours on the countertop (yes, it is okay, it won't go bad, the salt keeps it from getting yucky).

Turn out onto a plate lined with papertowels and let sit in the fridge for another 6 hours (this will get rid of more moisture). 

Mix together equal parts good quality paprika and dried (or fresh) mint.  Form the yogurt cheese into little balls, I like mine pretty small, maybe 1 inch diameter, and roll in the herb mixture.  you can serve immediately or put in a jar, cover with olive oil, and refrigerate, they will  stay good for quite a while.

Happy holidays and healthy appetizer trays!

KathyS28
on 12/20/12 9:23 am - MA

I remember having this as a kid can't wait to try.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 197 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 8 views
Recent Topics