Any endurance athletes out there?

Louise1974
on 12/20/12 8:41 am

I am nearly three months post op and have all sorts of exciting adventures lined up for the new year.  Pre-op I was working my way through the Adirondack 46 and had done some good long distance open water swimming.  I have kindof ramped down as swim and hiking season is about over for me and because I am newly post op and not eating very much.  I am wondering what your experiences have been post op.  How is your energy on long distance events?  do you have to eat anything special?  Snow shoe season (hopefully) is starting up soon and I wanted to try telemark skiing, any guidelines for when it is okay to really get back into it?  I have heard some say that it is important to let your body heal for a while and you don't get enough calories in the first year to really go to town but i wondered what your experiences have been.

Thanks!  i asked the folks at my bari program but they looked at me like i had two heads, I don't think they are used to really active morbidly obese people!

KatCooper
on 12/20/12 8:59 am - Collierville, TN

Check out the Exercise and Fitness Forum. We have some AMAZING athletes on this site!!  Welcome!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

LJ1972
on 12/20/12 9:09 am - FL

Welcome!

I am 16mths out and have completed 3 sprint Triathlons, do a 5k every month, have done a couple of 10ks and hoping to get  registered for a 1/2 marathon in March.  I didn't decide to pursue endurance events until I was nearly 8mths out but I usually just had a protein / carb combo before training (whole wheat waffle / peanut butter;  peanut butter/ banana, etc) and then maybe a protein shake afterwards. As my distance increased I did start using the Sport Beans and Hammer gels. Be sure you try those at home before you start using them out on the road / bike, etc!!

and as previously mentioned, check out the exercise forum.... we have IronMan competitors!!!

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Louise1974
on 12/20/12 9:24 am

Thank you!  I am checking out the exercise forum as we speak!  I live close to lake placid and last summer trained alot on their swim course.  I have done sprints and an olympic but never an ironman!  Maybe it will be in my future!! 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 7 views
Recent Topics