Potatoes????

mnknoyes
on 12/27/12 1:17 pm - Claremont, CA
RNY on 10/30/12 with
Hi everyone, how does everyone feel about potatoes? I'm doing great on getting my protien and sometimes need to eat something soft with the meat to help it go down smoothly. Being that we just got through the holidays and there were potatoes everywhere. What do all of the people who have been doing this a while feel about potatoes?
Ladytazz
on 12/27/12 1:32 pm

I allow myself a bite or two of the potatoes after I finish my protein.  I really don't want much more then that.  Today we went out to eat and I got steak and eggs with home fries.  I could barely finish the eggs, took a few bites of the potatoes and brought the rest home for dinner.  I will also steal a fry or two from my daughter sometimes.

Bare in mind that I am in maintenance though.  While in the losing phase eating high carb things like potatoes can slow down your weight loss.  When I was losing weight I often made mashed cauliflower as a substitute for potatoes.  Bariatric Foodie has a guide on making them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MrsLitch
on 12/27/12 1:42 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I had a couple of bites maybe once a month early out normally only when I had grouchy pouch. Now that my doc has me in maintenance (although still got a little weight to go) I eat them about one day every other week but I have 1/4 cup or less.

I've seen many who eat them in the pureed and soft stages my doctor's plan didn't allow that so I waited til almost 3 mo.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Dee.spunk
on 12/27/12 2:36 pm - Sacramento, CA
I gave up potatoes for the first year. I tried some at like 2-3 weeks out and made myself sick. I finally tried some last week. I had a French fry. I didn't like it that much.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Mal
on 12/27/12 3:14 pm

I eat a few bites of baked potato (had some tonight).  Lately, I've been focusing on protein because I know I haven't been getting in enough from food and recently added 1-2 protein shakes per day to jump start my intake again.  I am almost 3 year out.

M'Lane

artroxy blue
on 12/27/12 7:24 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I was given the OK for baked potatoes and sweet potatoes. I have eaten 1/4c. of a baked sweet potato on occasion, but I don't want to eat them too often. I don't want to start up that habit again. LOL Believe me, sweet potato pie is an all-time favorite of mine!

One thing that helps me, which was suggested by my dietician, is to take a bite of potato after 3-4 bites of protein. That way I get a little potato in without filling up on it, which I know I would do out of old habit. 

BWB
on 12/28/12 1:52 am

As everyone knows, potatoes are not for diabetics so I have trained myself to not want them too often.  If that isn't a problem with you I don't know why you couldn't sprinkle some unflavored protein powder in while you are stirring the other ingredients in.

Kim S.
on 12/28/12 1:54 am - Helena, AL

Even in maintenance, I still eat protein first, then veggies and then a few bites of starches, including potatoes, but my potatoes are usually fresh baked sweet potatoes.  I'm not really a fan of "regular" potatoes, but will eat a few bites now and then.

I do not avoid good carbs.  Good, complex carbs did not make me fat....overprocessed simple carbs did.

I did, however, avoid most starches in that first year....didn't have much room for them after protein and a few bites of veggies.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/28/12 4:29 am - OH

I occasionally eat a bite or two of some type of potato dish after I have my protein in for the meal. I never eat anything starchy before my protein is in. I had probably 1/4C of them (with gravy) on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am also 5.5 years out, though.

If it is baked, though, I prefer sweet potato... much better for you.  Other than stealing one french fry from someone else, I don't really do fried potatoes because often all I taste is the grease.

Unless something makes you physically ill, two bites of anything is not going to hurt you unless it causes you to start eating 4 bites, then six, then....

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

southbay311
on 12/28/12 6:50 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12

I am 10 months out and mashed potatoes give me an awful stuffed feeling....I eat maybe 3 bites (small) and feel completely uncomfortable for a good 20 minutes!!! have yet to try any other type of potato! I had maybe a tsp at Christmas dinner.

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 204 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 20 views
Recent Topics