What are "normal" blood sugar ranges after surgery.

pattyjonichols
on 12/25/12 11:03 am

Hi everyone:  Need some advice here.  I'm T2 Diabetic.  Since surgery 5 wks ago my levels are going down and I'm slowly stopping Novolog.  But this week, my BS was 146 before bedtime.   Occurs to me that I don't have a clue what my levels should be now.

Not seeing my Doctors again until February.  So if anyone has the wisdom on this please share with me.

As always,

Thanks

Patty Jo

Michigan

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

CarolF3
on 12/25/12 12:13 pm - Albany, NY
RNY on 12/17/12

I am a type 2 diabetic and they did not send me home with my diabetic meds told me no more. My ranges so far have been 74-100.

Doing good-less pills to take.

146 isn't bad.

Carol

amor1968
on 12/25/12 12:24 pm - AR

I have a question.. I was never a diabetic but today I felt kind of dizzy so I checked my blood sugar and it was 56! That seems low. What is normal? I ate a piece of chocolate ( small one) and still felt dizzy so I took a tsp of sugar and ate it. I then felt better but I was afraid to eat too much sugar and end up dumping. Can someone tell me what normal is?

pattyjonichols
on 12/25/12 12:50 pm

ah ha you experienced a serious low blood sugar.  My Doctors tell me that is your sugar goes into the 60's stay alert !  If it drops to low 60's you run a risk of passing out.  I can only go by my experience but you should talk with your Dr. or Bariatric Support Nurse to get your personal settings.  Mine has been between HI 126 and low 68.   I too get dizzy etc; at anything in 60's. 

Glad the sugar did the trick, but I wouldn't recommend that.  I prefer Orange Juice or a sweet fruit.  If all else fails a glucose tablet.

I'm no doctor or nurse, but experiencing BS of 56, would cause me to regularly check my sugar.  Say before meals, 75 to 120.

or two hours AFTER meals it should be LESS THAN  180.     I'm beginning to think there is no normal.   Based upon your own body and other medical factors you really should talk with your Primary Dr. or a Diabetic Doctor

Good Luck

Pat in Michigan

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

MultiMom
on 12/25/12 10:14 pm - NH

What you experienced is called Reactive Hypoglycemia. What happens basically is that when you eat some amount of carbs or sugar without protein your blood sugar goes high. Your body messes up by making too much insulin to fight the high blood sugar and then you go too low. What you have to do is prevent the high.

This is not an uncommon side affect of RNY. You will need to watch what you eat and have smaller 'meals' or snacks more frequently.

If you would like, I have a informational handout that I received at Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston. PM me your email address and I will send it to you. I have a particularly bad case of RH and am on a medication to help control it. Most people can control the lows with small adjustments to their diet though. 

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Annie_Anaba
on 12/25/12 2:25 pm
RNY on 08/27/12

Normal should be 70-110 according to my doc. Any BS constantly over 120 is supposed to be borderline diabetic. Maybe you need them to run a Hemaglobin A1C to check the average in the last 5 weeks and make certain it's ok to stop the Novolog. Ironically we can also have reactive hypoglycemia now too. I find that really funny since before surgery carbs made my BS rise....at times now carbs make it crash.....insane. Good luck and i hope it stabilizes for you so you can stop the meds.

Annasbell
on 12/25/12 5:21 pm - Arcadia, FL
RNY on 09/12/12

Normal blood sugars range between 75 and 150...I agree with the poster that said 146 was high.  You should check with your primary care physician about how to manage your diabetes now.

For the other posters:  When your blood sugar is low, yes you do need something with quick carbs to raise it, however you don't want to raise it too far, or have it come crashing down again so have a small amount of juice (4 oz) or some crackers, but combine it with a protein (peanut butter, cottage cheese, greek yohgurt) to help level out the swing. 

Not diabetic myself, but my 22 year old son has been a type 1 (on insulin) since he was 11, and managing lows was a terrifying reality...

RNY (lap) 9/12/2012 |  Michel Murr |  SW243 | 5'6"

MinnieMouse1
on 12/25/12 9:56 pm
RNY on 12/06/12

I am not diabetic. But have family members that are.  100 is normal high for someone that does not and has not had diabeties.  anything over that is pre diabetic or diabetic even 2 hours after a meal.  But to be sure A1 levels need to be checked.  My blood sugar is usually in the 90 and is very consistent except for the normal lows that most people experience when not eating.  please talk to your doctor about 150 blood sugar.  

serenity1959
on 12/26/12 12:09 pm
VSG on 08/05/13

My DH is a type 2 diabetic and my son is a type 1.   You need to discuss your blood sugars with a dr. before February.  Can you call them and get some guidance?

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 231 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 297 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 58 views
Recent Topics