Food--Too Much--Too Little--PROBLEMS

mpjones
on 12/26/12 9:01 am

I'm 10 weeks out and on full diet except for beef, pasta , rice and some fruits. For the last month my dietation has been harping at me to get more of my protein from actual food--I get 60 grams of protein from the 2 Primere shakes I drink each day, she wants me up to 80 grams of protein a day. I can eat 3/4 of a cheese stick,not quite a whole boiled egg, a slice of deli ham or turkey and maybe 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese but when I try to eat other meats (chicken, pork, turkey for example) if I can get a couple of bites in I'm so full I feel like I'm going to heave and that feeling lasts for hours. I cook the meat in a crock pot with salsa, or broth so it's very tender, I take very small bites and chew the heck out of it. What am I doing wrong??? In my support group people who had the surgery after I did talk about eating 2-4 ounces of chicken,pork chop, etc and I sitting there thinking "and I can't get 1/2 ounce down !!!" Any suggestions--right now I'm sitting here hoping I don't toss my cookies--had 2 bites of pork tenderloin that had been cooked all day  in the crock pot-that's all I had and that was 3 hours ago--I feel if I bend over that's going to be all she wrote.!! Suggestions PLEASE. Thank you.

Tuckerbird
on 12/26/12 9:08 am - NY

I have the same problems. I'm five weeks out. And they are harping about protien and water. I just can't do it, and it's not like I'm not trying, buts it's hard to eat alot of protein without getting nausea.. 

mpjones
on 12/26/12 9:37 am
On December 26, 2012 at 5:08 PM Pacific Time, Tuckerbird wrote:

I have the same problems. I'm five weeks out. And they are harping about protien and water. I just can't do it, and it's not like I'm not trying, buts it's hard to eat alot of protein without getting nausea.. 

I feel your pain and sure hope it gets better for you !! I have no problem with my water or my shakes just food--as my teenager grandson would say--"This *ucks" !!

BWB
on 12/26/12 9:23 am

There is a big difference between 5 weeks and 10 weeks.  I don't think that you are doing anything wrong.  Can you eat fish?  Can you puree your meat in some soup and stay light on the liquid?  Can you eat beans with pureed meat?  Have you tried making a beef stew and slow cooking with consommé.  I think some pork is tougher than a chuck roast and the white meat of chicken is drier too.  Sorry it is a problem but it may be something that is unique to you and will take you longer.

mpjones
on 12/26/12 9:42 am, edited 12/26/12 9:43 am
On December 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM Pacific Time, BWB wrote:

There is a big difference between 5 weeks and 10 weeks.  I don't think that you are doing anything wrong.  Can you eat fish?  Can you puree your meat in some soup and stay light on the liquid?  Can you eat beans with pureed meat?  Have you tried making a beef stew and slow cooking with consommé.  I think some pork is tougher than a chuck roast and the white meat of chicken is drier too.  Sorry it is a problem but it may be something that is unique to you and will take you longer.

I've had tuna with FF mayo twice--the first time no problem, the second time it made me sick.  I'll try the pureed meat with soup and see how that goes. For actual fish I've NEVER been able to eat "wet" fi**** has to be cooked until it's almost half the portion size I started out with. Thanks for the suggestions. some how  fi**** had some of the letters deleted.

angeleigh
on 12/26/12 9:36 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Try chili. Sometimes I can do chicken, sometimes it needs lots of sauce others times it is fine. I know for me personally at 3 months out i still get half my protein from a shake. Ground meats are easier. I couldnt do lunch meat for a while. Also you can do scrambled egg, boiled eggs are a little dry for me unless i mix them with something. I have noticed that i can only handle meats that have more fat to them. Turkey can be hard some days. I love a weigh****cher turkey with mashed potatoes, dont eat to much of the potatoes but the turkey and gravy is good.

As far as not having beef, that wasnt part of my diet since i did ground beef alot once i got to soft food.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

mpjones
on 12/26/12 9:48 am
On December 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM Pacific Time, shannon G. wrote:

Try chili. Sometimes I can do chicken, sometimes it needs lots of sauce others times it is fine. I know for me personally at 3 months out i still get half my protein from a shake. Ground meats are easier. I couldnt do lunch meat for a while. Also you can do scrambled egg, boiled eggs are a little dry for me unless i mix them with something. I have noticed that i can only handle meats that have more fat to them. Turkey can be hard some days. I love a weigh****cher turkey with mashed potatoes, dont eat to much of the potatoes but the turkey and gravy is good.

As far as not having beef, that wasnt part of my diet since i did ground beef alot once i got to soft food.

I did have some homemade turkey chili and that wasn't half bad--my plan does call for an ocassional  Weigh****chers meal and if we don't get the 10 inches of snow they are calling for tonight I think I'll get myself to the supermarket tomorrow and try their turkey dinner. Thanks for the suggestions.

poet_kelly
on 12/26/12 9:48 am - OH

People tolerate different foods at different points.  If meat doesn't sit well with you, then don't eat it right now.  Wait a couple weeks, then try again.  Until then, try to get protein from things like Greek yogurt, beans, tofu, cheese, etc.  And use protein shakes if you need to in order to get enough protein.  There's nothing magical about getting your protein from meat.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mpjones
on 12/26/12 9:59 am
On December 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

People tolerate different foods at different points.  If meat doesn't sit well with you, then don't eat it right now.  Wait a couple weeks, then try again.  Until then, try to get protein from things like Greek yogurt, beans, tofu, cheese, etc.  And use protein shakes if you need to in order to get enough protein.  There's nothing magical about getting your protein from meat.

Thanks Kelly, I think I'm going to up it to 3 shakes a day and just go easy on all food for a while, Egg Beaters seem to work, cheese sticks are good (usually) I've never tried tofu but I'm willing to give it a whirl, I actually like the Greek yogurt so that will be something else I'll pick up at the market tomorrow. I'm just getting so tired of hearing "you need to eat more food at this stage" every time I check in with my doctor's center !!

poet_kelly
on 12/26/12 10:02 am - OH

See, I'm assuming you aren't going to want to live on protein shakes forever, but there is no reason to rush things.  Wait a couple weeks, then try some meat again.  The protein you get from the shakes is just as good as the protein you'd get from food.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics