OT: Travel for business while on two week pre-op liquid diet

alycat75
on 1/2/13 8:22 am - Indian Trail, NC
RNY on 01/14/13
I've got two business trips coming up in the next week while I'm on my two week pre-op liquid diet. My coworkers do not know that I'm having gastric bypass surgery. And honestly I don't think it's any of their business. But I'm just wondering how to deal with making sure I have access to my protein shakes and things of that nature while I'm gone. I use the ready-made shakes I don't use a powder. Also trying to figure out how to Deal with the awkward going out to dinner situation, which I'm sure will happen. I may just fake an illness. Of course and I have to figure out what to do with the second business trip.
Has anyone else had to travel before surgery while on their liquid Pre-Op diet, and how did you deal with it? Do you know whether the TSA will allow for protein shakes to be let through if you have a doctors note?
LadyAnastacia
on 1/2/13 9:04 am
RNY on 11/06/12

Typically checked luggage has looser restrictions than carry-on since you have no access to it while the plane is in flight.  Can you check with the TSA to see what their checked luggage policy is on liquids?

I travel for business and I go to the hotel room as soon as the day's work is done.  I just say I need to complete some work for my boss.  I tend not to be the 3 martini business traveler though. :)

madeformore
on 1/2/13 9:16 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

We live in a diet society. People probably wouldn't think twice, especially with New Years resolutions everywhere, if you said you were on a new diet or cleanse or whatnot. Good luck!

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

happygrandma
on 1/2/13 11:08 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I'm two weeks out and have a conference during my fourth week, which will be soft foods.  I'm sure it will be a bit easier.  I contacted those who are giving the conference.  Told them that due to surgery I'm on a soft food diet.  They sent me the entire menus for the conference (mostly stuff I can't eat), arranged for a refrigerator in my room and told me to take whatever I need (milk, yogurt etc) at breakfast to get me through.  Conference meals are so expensive, even though I'm not paying for it,  I'm not going to a meal so I can eat a little potato or veggie.  I'm going to take a small cooler on the plane for string cheese and whatever else I think of that's not liquid.

I also use liquid protein drinks but afraid to take them in my suitcase.  I'll find some kind of powder that I can stomach.

Obviously you'll have to tell your co-workers eventually.  Just tell them you are preparing for surgery and are on a restricted diet.

Karens62
on 1/2/13 11:24 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13

I would make the effort to find powder you like. Pack individual sized servings in a snack sized ziplock and then put those in a quart sized ziplock. Always double bag, trust me. That and a blender ball shaker and protein just became easier. I can't imagine packing a weeks worth of liquid shakes every week. They are heavy and too high risk for leakage. 

If anyone asks, just tell them you're on a special diet and leave it at that. Or go, order soup, don't eat it and just drink water. Tell your coworkers you just wanted to join them for dinner for the company. Or use the I've for a ton of work to do excuse. You can do this. 

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 300 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 289 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?