I told the kids about my surgery.

Sherrie P.
on 1/1/13 8:50 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I have a 10 year old and a 13 year old boy and had not yet told them about the surgery.  Finally, tonight I explained to them in February I was having weight loss surgery. I was concerned that the 13 year old (who has struggled with being very slightly overweight) would have some issues with it or at least some questions. 

They were like, uh - ok mom.     Really? That's all I get?  LOL

Then the 13 year old said, "Cool, well my New Year's Resolution is to get fit - I guess we will do it together."  Then his brother said, "well, I am already fit and I don't need to have a surgery to lose weight."  

Then they started talking about something else.

Kids are funny. 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Lori F.
on 1/1/13 8:58 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

Lol that's about what I got from my boys (11&14).

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

Lianne C.
on 1/1/13 9:19 am - Garden City, MI
You will find that as long as you follow recipes and keep all the junk food out of the house, everyone will start to "get fit"! My husband lost 25lbs by just eating foods I cooked! My daughter went from "overweight" to "normal". It is a change for the whole family! Good luck
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Esta F.
on 1/1/13 10:35 am - IL
RNY on 07/25/12

lol...yeah i got the same thing.  boy (10 at the time), girl (14 at the time).  I'm still glad i told them

MultiMom
on 1/1/13 11:01 am - NH
My daughters were 12 and 15 when I had surgery and they didn't even give me that much feedback! If you are relaxed and tell them that you are doing this for your continued good health, they are relaxed too!

Good luck,
Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Miamos
on 1/1/13 11:11 am - OH
I have a 10 and 5 year old boys, the ten year old was very worried, but when I explained that I wanted to do this so I could ride bikes and play more he was really exited. He asked how they were going to do it, I explained that they were going to take my stomach and make it the size of an egg. My 5 year old started to cry and said " I don't want them to turn you into an egg, I like you as my mom"
April M.
on 1/1/13 7:55 pm - Clarksville, TN
RNY on 03/11/13
When I got approved, I was so excited. I was very open with my kids during the whole process. When I told them what I was planning to do, my 15 year old daughter said "that's great Mom, I want you to be healthier and happier. I will do whatever I can to help you succeed," My 4 year old was different. I explained to him that I am going to have an operation to make me healthier by helping me lose weight. He started to cry, then he said "mommy, you are healthy. I don't want you to lose weight. I love my fat mommy." His unconditional love and acceptance of me made me cry. As surgery date approaches, he is more accepting and is excited that mommy will be able to be more active and do more with him. Best of luck on your upcoming journey.
Jewelsstevens
on 1/2/13 12:24 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

LOL, yes they are. My kids (15 & 13 at the time of surgery) were real supportive. My 15 year old is a health freak. My 13 year old is the TOTALLY opposite end of that spectrum. They were both like "cool". They had a few random questions as the months went by before surgery. But, overall, they were just like yours. They made it easier for me, that is for sure.

Most Active
Recent Topics