Question about getting protein in

brandi31cole
on 1/4/13 4:05 am - arlington, TX

I'm 4 months out and I'm trying to get in at least 80 grams of protein daily. My problem is when I drink a protein drink (Premier) I'm full for hours. Today I had the shake at 10:15 am and I'm still full. How do you get in your protein if you stay full? I do know that when I eat chicken, steak, or turkey, I can only get in maybe 4 or 5 bites in 30 minutes and I'm STUFFED. I know I was told to listen to my body, but if I did, I would NEVER eat because I'm not hungry. I do however eat out of boredom or depression, but to say I was really hungry, I'm not. I'm not complaining just wondering how all of you get your protein in.

camelon
on 1/4/13 4:15 am

I eat small amounts of meat forever, until I get 10-20 grams, then drink, then eat.  I'm forever eating or putting something in my mouth!  I never thought I would not be able to eat everything I'm supposed to!

Missy A.
on 1/4/13 4:16 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

I eat by the clock. Every 2.5-3 hours I eat, whether I'm hungry or not. I manage to get about 85-95 grams of protein that way.

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Pink125
on 1/4/13 4:34 am

What do u eat? I'm 2.5 weeks post n getting sick w my protein (max-pro)!

Missy A.
on 1/4/13 4:59 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

I usually start the day with protein shake (Unjury, taste just like chocolate milk) with 1% milk. Then a snack, nuts or sf pudding with protein in it. Then lunch, 2 oz of deli meat (not sure if you're at that stage yet). Then another snack, yogurt or cheese stick. Then dinner, some type of protein meat. Then snack before bed is ALWAYS is Philly Swirl Sweet Delights (Popsicles w/3G of protein)! They are my nightly treat. You can find them at Foodlion or Lowes Foods in the Popsicle area. 

Mind you, I'm almost 5 months out, so I can eat more than you, but things like the pudding, yogurt and Popsicles you can eat. If you need, just add another protein shake to get more protein and liquids in.

Hope this helps!

Missy

brandi31cole
on 1/4/13 6:51 am - arlington, TX

How neat is this! You're exactly 10 days ahead of me. I had my surgery on August 27, 2012, my surgery weight was 295 lbs., my goal weight is 150 lbs., and you're down exactly 20 lbs. less tha me. WOW!! Congrats!!! 

Missy A.
on 1/4/13 7:03 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Cool broken heart

How are you doing? Getting in your protein and liquids? I'm not doing too well with my vegetables mainly because I've never been a big vegetable eater, but also because I'm afraid to eat anything that doesn't have a lot of protein. Fruit is sporadic as well. I'm just afraid I won't continue losing and I want to maximize me losing as much as possible.

Let me know how you are doing and CONGRATS on your weight loss thus far!

Missy

Mary Catherine
on 1/4/13 4:35 am

Everyday you will be able to eat a little more and after awhile will have no problem getting in enough protein.  Just do the best you can and don't  obsess about it. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/13 5:27 am - MN
I am 3 weeks post op and am having the same problem, I am never hunngry either and I and feel weak, what can I do
brandi31cole
on 1/4/13 6:47 am - arlington, TX

It's so easy to get busy doing something and you're not hungry so you don't eat. I learned a valuable lesson over the Christmas holiday. I got busy cooking dinner early that morning and I didn't keep track of what I ate and drank. By that night, I had muscle cramps all over my entire body. Every time I tried to get up to go to the ER to get fluids I would cramp up. My husband had to call the paramedics to come in the house to get me. Thankfully they got there in time, I was trying to force fluids down so my system wouldn't shut down completely, but it wasn't working. I was so dehydrated, it took them 30 minutes to find a vein and start an IV. After that I write EVERYTHING, I'm VERY conscious of my fluids!!! I've been getting in about 100 ozs. of water daily. That being said, I need to get my protein in! I do good on one thing and the other one lags! GRRR!!! I will start eating o the clock like someone suggested..

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 371 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 500 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 570 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 292 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 371 views