How many of you had your gall bladder removed because of the surgery?

RainbowRN
on 1/7/13 12:19 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Hello!  I was just curious how many were told that it would be better to have your gall bladder removed?  My brother is 7 months post RNY.  Before he had his surgery his surgeon told him that it was common to have your gall bladder removed before RNY.  He had no issues with his gall bladder beforehand.  The doc removed it in March and then he had his RNY in June.  I'm just wondering how common it is or if its something uncommon.  Thanks!! :)

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

alycat75
on 1/7/13 12:24 pm - Indian Trail, NC
RNY on 01/14/13

Luckily this is one thing I don't have to worry about.  My gallbladder was shot after having my first daughter, so I got that sucker removed.  I have heard a lot of stories about the gall bladder going south after surgery, and I'll tell ya.....that was some intense pain.  If you're gall bladder is just fine, I would say "why remove it if it ain't broken".  something else to remember that if you have it removed before surgery with no reason, insurance will likely not pay for it.

Surgery Date:  January 14, 2013

HW:  273   |   SW:  250.9. |   CW:  209.3  |  GW:  150

apurdie
on 1/7/13 12:24 pm - CA

I had to have an ultrasound of my gall bladder and if any stones were there, it had to be removed during surgery even though only a very slight percentage of stones are symptomatic.  I don't think that it is done routinely for no reason or to prevent a possible attack during rapid weight loss, but that is in my neck of the woods.  Allison

missmomof4
on 1/7/13 1:11 pm
RNY on 09/10/12
Same here. A gallbladder ultrasound was one of the preop required tests (required by my insurance, not surgeon). I already knew I had stones though, from a previous ultrasound, so it was removed during surgery.

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
(deactivated member)
on 1/7/13 12:26 pm

Thank goodness my surgeon took out mine the same time I had RNY.  I had a stone. Never had a problem with my gallbladder.  That's it!  But that was enough for me to be approved to have it removed.  Also some doctors will not do it, some doctors will do it just because of the odds you will have it out sooner or later with WLS.  Some doctors find it unethical to do surgery on patients that don't need it.  I was 59 last May and I am sooooo glad it's gone.  Ask your surgeon what his protocol is.  I wish you the best!!! Jane

JJ_
on 1/7/13 12:29 pm

Nope, one year post RNY and I still have my gallbladder.  No issues either.

Judy

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/7/13 12:29 pm
About 30% of post ops have their gallbladders fail. You are probably aware that it is caused by rapid weight loss, surgical or not.

I had mine out a couple of months after my RNY. I wasn't surprised that it failed but the timing was a pain.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

ShebasMom
on 1/7/13 12:35 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I was 10 months post rny when my GB was removed.  My surgeon does not routinely remove them with rny, unless there are stones. 

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

chyna_doll
on 1/7/13 12:58 pm - orlando, FL

my gall bladder was removed the same day as surgery so its common in most cases...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/7/13 1:09 pm - OH

It is common for some surgeons to go ahead and remove the gallbladder at the same time as the RNY (my insurance approval letter actually explicitly stated that they also approved the gallbladder removal as well), but this is the first time I have heard of someone having a separate gallbladder surgery (intentionally) before the RNY.  Every surgery creates adhesions, so I find it curious that they would intentionally do it beforehand.  Those adhesions might even cause trouble with the lap RNY.

About 30% of people who have WLS (any type except band) have to have their gallbladders out within a couple of years of surgery (I forget whether it was 2 or 3 years), so my surgeon prefers not to remove a healthy organ "just in case" (and that was one of the things I considered when choosing my surgeon). Unfortunately, I ended up being one of the 30%, but of all the people I know from my surgeon's support group, only two of us ended up having to have it removed (and we both lost more weight than most).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views