What is so great about the sleeve and whats the difference between that and RNY?

RainbowRN
on 1/8/13 4:45 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I have already decided that I am going to have the RNY done however I see alot of people talking about the sleeve and I am just curious...what makes it so different from the RNY.  And why are most people choosing it over RNY?  I have googled it and found answers  but I am curious as to what people on this site think. 

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Amanda M.
on 1/8/13 4:56 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
Benefits of the sleeve over RNY: no dumping, less risk of nutritional and vitamin deficiencies, can take NSAIDs, no remnant stomach (people will debate whether that is good or bad), no bowel obstructions, strictures or hernia risks.

Benefits of RNY over sleeve: resolution of GERD, dumping (some see as a benefit to deter them from bad habits), more rapid weight loss, dual action weight loss (restriction and malabsorption), longer history and is considered the gold standard of WLS.

I chose RNY because I want my GERD resolved!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/9/13 12:39 am - OH

Actually, your chances of a bowel obstruction are not significantly less with the sleeve.  The obstructions are apparently NOT at the points of the bypass work but are usually caused by adhesions from surgery (and can be caused by any type of abdominal surgery, including things like appendectomies, hysterectomies, gallbladder removal, etc.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amanda M.
on 1/9/13 2:52 am
RNY on 01/18/13
Thanks Lora! I am happy to have that information corrected!

Cherokeesage
on 1/8/13 5:28 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I had RNY after a failed lap band.  Thus far I have been very pleased with my choice.  However, I was disappointed reading on this site post op that the malabsorption is not permanent.  I may have opted for the sleeve had I known this prior to surgery.  I felt that I had researched my options but this fact never came up.   Yet, we will always be deficient in vitamin absorption. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

scarlettbegonias
on 1/8/13 5:37 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I opted for the sleeve after having my band out, had the choice taken from me and ended up with RNY after  a accident during the sleeve op, my main reason for wanting the sleeve was that I wanted the DS and the sleeve is the first part of the procedure- I couldn't get a DS over here with my bmi and the DS is highly controversial ATM because of a couple of rouge surgeons so my options were sleeve or travel os for the DS.

The main benefit is the ability to take NSAIDs and some people really don't want to have their insides totally rearranged.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

RainbowRN
on 1/8/13 7:56 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13
I have GERD really bad so I am thinking that that automatically makes the sleeve out of the question.

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Amanda M.
on 1/8/13 9:52 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
Sleeve can make it worse, but RNY will automatically fix it....I cant wait! Lol.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/9/13 12:40 am - OH

Yes, from everything I have seen and heard, sleeve and DS are not good options for people with GERD.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

dene527
on 1/8/13 9:25 pm - NC

If you have bad GERD, you don't want the sleeve! I had it horrible pre-op, and my RNY has resolved it completely. 

Dene'

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?