Re: the atkins bar question and soy protein isolate

Louise1974
on 1/10/13 10:23 am

I responded a few days ago to someone asking about Atkins bars and I can't find the post but my trainer pointed something out to me today, he said that bars or shakes that have soy protein isolate may not be a good choice because the soy protein has some sort of component that actually blocks the absorption of protein, which is really just not good for us.  also, some folks are concerned about the hormonal effects of eating that kind of soy, especially for women.  I did some online research and it looks like there are those who argue this but there was also plenty of pretty decent looking research backing up the idea that soy protein isolate is not a great thing.  I am purging my pantry as we speak, I wanted to add this to the conversation since I was encouraging the atkins bar a few days ago.  Live and learn!  I am bummed though, I really like the morningstar farms veggie burgers :(

65rosesmom
on 1/10/13 10:53 am

I'm sorta torn on soy altogether.  I recently read that soy is planted as a bi-annual alternate crop to remove the impurities and toxins from the ground so it will grow better quality crops the next year.   I'm not sure if that compromises the soy beans, but it does create a reason for pause.    To also know it may impede protein absorption or not absorb the way we need it to....hmmm...perhaps not a good choice for us.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Louise1974
on 1/10/13 10:59 am

Apparently if the soy has been fermented, like with tempeh, then the component in question, I think he said ferric acid? is eliminated and the protein is available, but if not fermented then you are out of luck, like with soy protein isolate or tofu.  I have also read alot about the hormonal problems...  I am gonna stay away from it!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/10/13 11:34 am - OH

Hmmm... I have heard of the hormonal aspects of soy products, but soy has a PDCAAS (Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score) of 1.0 which is identical to that of whey and egg protein, so I don't see how it could be less well absorbed than whey or egg white protein.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 1/10/13 3:28 pm - OH

I'm with you.  And as a vegetarian, soy is not my only source of protein, but I do get a fair amount of my protein from soy.  I'd say at least 25% of my protein comes from soy.  And I'm pretty sure I'm absorbing it, otherwise my total protein, albumin and pre-albumin levels wouldn't be as good as they are every time I have labs done.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Louise1974
on 1/10/13 8:55 pm

What is so difficult is that I am not a dietician or food scientist by trade so I find it very difficult to wade through all the information out there and figure out what is psuedo science and what is real...  I think poet kelly has a good point, seems like the proof is in the pudding.  Maybe I will keep those veggie burgers after all, i do really love them!  Thanks ladies.

thynnlynn
on 1/11/13 4:54 am - MI

Those that live in Asia and eat their cultural foods that contain a lot of soy in various forms have been in better health than before eating Westernized foods.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 203 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?