Kelly ---HELP !!!

mpjones
on 1/12/13 5:23 am

Ok, got the Citracal Petites-- Tried to swallow one--didn't go down. Cut the second one in half, still felt like I was trying to swallow a BIG rock, tried to cut the halves in half--they crumbled. Could I just mash the darn things up and mix with applesauce or or even dissolve in water??? I also got the iron you recommended and they are wonderful--thanks for helping.

misssarah661
on 1/12/13 5:33 am - OR

Your best bet is to get the Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D Chewable's.  They are easy to chew and swallow.  Most vitamins we need to take need to be chewable, sublingual, or capsules.  No tablets!  Good luck!

poet_kelly
on 1/12/13 5:45 am - OH

Why do you recommend against tablets?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 1/12/13 5:47 am - OH

Yeah, you can crush them up and mix them in anything you like.  I'm not sure how it will taste.  You can buy a pill crusher thing at any pharmacy for a few dollars, makes crushing them very easy.

You can also dissolve them in water, crystal light, whatever.

If you don't like how that tastes, you might want to try Upcal D.  It's a powdered calcium citrate and it has no taste and you can mix it in any drink or in yogurt or pudding or something like that.  I like it a lot.  You have to order it online, though.

I'm glad you like the iron.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

apurdie
on 1/12/13 6:20 am - CA

Thank, Kelly.  Great ideas!

Karen1961
on 1/12/13 10:32 am - Camp Verde, AZ
RNY on 12/31/12
I've been taking the Wellesse liquid calcium. It's a citrate and is 1000 mg. Also has D and Mg. 2 oz is the serving and I take it twice a day. My surgeon recommended it. I bought it at Wal-mart.
poet_kelly
on 1/13/13 12:24 am - OH

It's citrate AND tricalcium phosphate.  We can't absorb the tricalcium phosphate . I believe the manufacturer has said it contains 70 or 80% citrate, so you'd need to adjust the dose accordingly - the 1000 mg dose would only give you about 700 or 800 mg calcium citrate.  Of course, we can only absorb about 500 mg at a time anyway, so if you are taking the full dose twice a day, you're only getting about 1000 mg calcium citrate daily, and the ASMBS says we need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate daily.

Most Active
Recent Topics